Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blank Screen After Starting Live CD 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blank Screen After Starting Live CD 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon)

Trying to re-install Gutsy. I did have it installed and working but trying to install Linux MCE from CD wiped out my screen when it decided to update the Nvidia driver. I think I saw some posts about some sort of problem with Nvidia driver and 8500 board, but not sure. Now I need to recover. However just redoing the Kubuntu install from Live CD is a problem because I can't get the display to work anymore. When booting from the Kubuntu screen I get the intial install screen with the menu (a text screen with a Kubuntu logo above), it gets up and runnning, asks for my login and goes to desktop. All with blank screen.

CTRL+ALT+F1 gets me to terminal ok. CTRL+ALT+F7 switches back to graphical interface and after the switch for a breif instant I can see it is at the desktop but then screen goes blank (blue in my case).

From the terminal mode is there a way to find out what Nvidia driver I have? In xorg.conf its called "NV" Is there a way to update the driver from the terminal mode?

To get the screen back do I edit xorg.conf ? Is this the file that is controlling the display at this point? Just changing this file with nano editor wont actually put the new parameters in play right away will it? What do I do to test it?

Any tips on solving the blank screen after install problem appreciated. Remember I have to work from terminal mode. Thanks.

Bill

System:
    Motherboard Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe Green nVIDIA Socket Am2 ATX
    Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+ 3.0 GHz
    Memory 8096MB Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory
    Video Card - GIGABYTE GV-NX85T256H GeForce 8500GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16
    Hard Drive - HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 HDS721010KLA330 (0A34915) 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
    DVD - SAMSUNG SH203N SATA
    HD-5500 Hi Definition Television PCI Card - pchdtv

Re: Blank Screen After Starting Live CD 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon)

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0

How to get started with no GUI, dibl's how-to.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: Blank Screen After Starting Live CD 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon)

Thanks Qqmike for the pointer to the help. That eventually got me going. (Plus switching monitors to an old CRT job).

Comment

Working...
      X