This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-stop DNS Query

My system is continuously sending out DNS Queries for localhost.(mylocaldomain). My ISP is going to suspend my account unless I get it under control, unfortuntaley I have no idea what is causing it.

Any Ideas?

Re: Non-stop DNS Query

interesting!

a couple of things crop up...
    it's wild guessing, of course...

1) something's wrong in your /etc/hosts file with regard to localhost
    please post back the content of that file
    and while you're at it, pls also post the content of /etc/resolv.conf

2) your routing tables are screwed up
    please post back the result of the following command
    Code:
    netstat -rn
    3) or some machine on your lan got named localhost?

hth
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Actually it was none of the above - had something to do with my resolv.conf file, it was messed up somehow. I tried to fix it, without knowing what i was doing and then i spent the next 4 hours trying to stop the system from going to BusyBox and init: rc-default main process <PID> terminated with status 127. I don't think the resolv.conf file caused those problems though, i'm not sure what did it, maybe an update or some messed up earlier and i just hadn't rebooted yet.

Anyways I eventually got everything back up and running after booting from a live cd and copying the resolv.conf from the live cd over the messed up one and then running a reinstall of udev and upstart-compat-sysv.

I hope i don't have to do that again.

Anyways if anyone runs any of these problems, maybe this will help them resolve it.

Edit: I just noticed that you requested to post my resolv.conf file, so you were right about that one

Comment

cool... 8)

gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Working...
        X