X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printing on Kubuntu and Ubuntu Gutsy

Hi everyone,
    I have a Canon i560 on which I have been trying to print from Gutsy. I initially installed Kubuntu Gutsy, and could not find a driver for the printer. I tried all of the relevant gutenprint packages, updating the relevant CUPS packages. No luck.
    I then installed Ubuntu Gutsy, and hey presto, there's the driver, printer installed and operating perfectly.
    But I like KDE, so I installed kubuntu-desktop. I was monitoring the installation, and to my horror, the kubuntu-desktop installation installed/updated the cups-driver-gutenprint package. The Canon i560 driver no longer available for selection and installation in the KDE Print Add Printer Wizard.
    Fortunately, the installed printer is still operational and works perfectly, which leads me to believe that the driver file/s remains somewhere on the system.
    So, my question is in two parts:
    1. What's the fundamental difference between Ubuntu Gutsy and Kubuntu Gutsy in the area of print drivers and printing; and
    2. What do I have to do to make Kubuntu behave itself and do what Ubuntu does.
    I have posted a similar question in other forums, and I am posting this thread on Ubuntuforums as well.
    I refuse to believe that nobody else has experienced this problem, and that nobody has an answer. There must be someone out there in forum world who knows.

Thanks and cheers,
    Steve Terek

Re: Printing on Kubuntu and Ubuntu Gutsy

Bump!

I thought this was the forum that the experts kept an eye on so they could help the noobs. Aren't there any experts out there who know about Linux printing? I would have thought this would be fairly simple for experts/developers/code cutters.

Cheers,
    Steve

Comment

Yep. This expert used Google:

http://openprinting.org/show_printer...num=Canon-i560

1. What's the fundamental difference between Ubuntu Gutsy and Kubuntu Gutsy in the area of print drivers and printing
      A: There isn't any.

2. What do I have to do to make Kubuntu behave itself and do what Ubuntu does.
      A: To do what Ubuntu does, install Ubuntu.

Comment

You may have seen this already, but looked promising to me.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=81954

Comment

Thanks for all the help and advice, guys. I'm currently running Ubuntu, but as I've said, I like KDE over Gnome. There are various tricks on the Ubuntu forum which may or may not work in Kubuntu, but I guess I'll just wait until Kubuntu Hardy stable is released and try that. I think Hardy has support for a lot more printers, including Canon.

Thanks again, and cheers,
          Steve.

Comment

Working...
          X