X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samba ~ Win XP Permissions

Hello all, [See update below]

I have installed and configured Samba in Kubuntu 7.10, which is networked with my Windows XP Pro [pre SP1]. I can navigate to the shared HDD's, folders, and files on XP through Kubuntu.

When I click on a OOo document housed on XP, the OOo splash screen pops up in Kubuntu, and just when you would expect the document to appear, the splash screen disappears and the document does not present itself.

I am “assuming” this is do to the permissions settings on the XP system, although I have checked the 'Share this folder on the network;', and 'Allow network users to change my files', boxes for the shared folder the document is in, so I am under the impression the permissions are set correctly.

I have looked over the manpage for Samba, and nothing obvious jumped out at me.

What have I missed on one or both of the systems to cause this problem?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

[Update]

I discovered by happenstance, that the files and / or folders need to be created within the shared folder on Windows XP Pro for them to be viewed, edited, and saved using Kubuntu. I do not recall in the documents I read, any of them stating this need to be done. Although you cannot execute a file, I don't foresee this to be a big deal in the future, unless someone feels otherwise.

So that pretty much solved my initial problem, but now the question is, how do I accomplish being able to view, edit, and save files on Windows XP Pro using Kubuntu, without having to recreate all of my files and folders on my backup drives, since just copying to the shared folder does not work?

Thanks once again.
    kubuntu 8.04 ~ 64bit<br />Pentium D ~ 3.4gig<br />4gig RAM<br />160gig HDD ~ x2<br />19&quot; Widescreen<br /><br />&quot;I must be a nice guy..........I always seem to finish last.&quot;

Re: Samba ~ Win XP Permissions

I have a Windows XP SP2 box acting as an internet gateway and file server.

I have gone to, in the past in an explorer window clicked on Tools => Folder Options => View, then scrolled down and clicked the option for 'Use simple file sharing' and this is an advanced file sharing option when you right click n a folder and select properties. That gives you the sharing tab where you can set permissions for the share and a security tab that you can set permissions for the folders. This unfortunately didn't work exactly as I planned as it didn't allow me access when a new file was added by the server. Samba within dolphin would ask me for a username and password, if I clicked on a file, like a video file, kaffeine wouldn't be able to play it because of the permission issue

I use simple file sharing in XP, Kubuntu through samba and Dolphin works seamlessly for reading files.

regarding shares within Windows Xp, If you right click My Computer, click Manage and then click Shared Folders, it will display all the folders you currently have shared. Don't worry about the ones that have a $ sign after them, they are meant to be there, they are shared by default and protected. You can also add shares here if you wish.

I have also, on the Windows XP PC, made sure that the local network is trusted within the firewall. This is how my windows XP network settings are configured.

Cable Modem
    /\
    \/
    Ethernet
    /\
    \/
    Software Firewall (Win XP)
    /\
    \/
    Network Bridge (trusted) <> Ethernet
    /\
    \/
    Wireless <> Wireless <> Kubuntu

I've noticed in dolphin that it says when trying to create a file, that 'writing to remote is not supported', but if I open a text file from a remote location using dolphin, edit it within Kate and save, it writes to the remote location.

Hmmm

I use Krdc to remotely connect to my server which saves me having run between machines to play with settings.

I connect using: rdp:/<Host Name> within Krdc, in order for this to work you must have the 'allow people to connect to this computer' through right clicking My Computer => Remote Tab.

One last question. Have you considered upgrading your Windows XP Service Pack 1 to Service Pack 2?

I hope this helps

Comment

Re: Samba ~ Win XP Permissions

Lucky I am not a total noob to Win or Lin, but my weak spot is networking. Using my experience, common sense and a little bit of luck, my network is 95% functional. Ha yes, there is that 5% weak spot.

My network is setup pretty much like yours, and I can ping back and forth to each system. From Kubuntu through Konq and Samba, I can view all of my shared files on XP, the problem is I cannot open any of the content within any of the folders, and I believe this is because of the permission settings which are buried somewhere in XP. I did try Dolphin and the result was still the same, so it is not the file managers.

If you choose a shared folder on your Lin system, then right click, Share > Permissions > Advance Permissions, you will see the X boxes which can be selected to change any shared level which is needed. I believe this is the settings in XP I need to change. I tried to change these settings in XP on the Lin side, but that did not work either.

I am beginning to wonder if it is the version of XP I have. I am in IT, and at the time I was working for IBM in Atlanta. I knew the software guys and was able to obtain an evaluation copy of XP Pro about a week or so before it was officially released. I have never been able to upgrade past SP1 because my version will not pass the authentication process. [Where did those guys get this copy anyway ] which was never a big deal.

But even with that, I can't believe there is not a way to gain access R/RW/EXE access to the files in the Pro version.....that is one reason it is Pro.

Maybe installing different server software on XP so I can gain R/RW/EXE access is the answer. Do you know, can you run Apache as a file server too, or is it just for web sites? Are there any open source Win>Lin, Lin<Win server software you can recommend? To bad Samba is not for Win too.

Thanks for your time and any suggestions you may have!

Rock-On
      kubuntu 8.04 ~ 64bit<br />Pentium D ~ 3.4gig<br />4gig RAM<br />160gig HDD ~ x2<br />19&quot; Widescreen<br /><br />&quot;I must be a nice guy..........I always seem to finish last.&quot;

Comment

Working...
      X