X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hda v/s sda

Hey people
    I recently shifted from M$ to Kubuntu and am still using a dual boot system. During loading Kubuntu onto my harddisk, the window which shows the partition says in the top right corner as "/dev/sda"...All the while I am hearing abt /dev/hda and I have something different...Whats the difference and do I need to re format?

I am using the Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake (LTS) and have a 80 gig HD with 15 gigs for Windows and 5 gig for /, 2gig for swap and 30 gig for /home...All these are listed as /dev/sda

Please advise

Thanks in advance

Re: hda v/s sda

As far as I know, difference is that /dev/hd** are ATA(PI) and /dev/sd** are SCISI and/or SATA HDDs.

So, unless you are tinkering with bootloader or some other app needing direct HDD access, you just replace 'h' with 's'.

If you do need to do with bootloaders, etc., - read man first, ask someone second, do third, - this is one of a few areas where "all sales are final" and you may render your system completely unusable, - even in Linux.

Comment

As trident_2008 explains, hdx indicates an IDE drive and sdx indicates a SATA drive.
      However, that changed with Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy: now both types of drives are named using the notation sdx. (There's technical reasons for the change, but they would lend nothing to this discussion.)
      You will also notice that prior to 7.10, devices were named using /dev/sdx (e.g., in menu.lst and in fstab). Starting with 7.10, they are named using UUIDs – long sequences of numbers & letters.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Oh ..ok thanks !!!!...everything works fine ...so I guess its not a big issue...Thanks for the enlightment !!!

Comment

Working...
        X