This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ssh don't work

if I type 'ssh -XC me@school' in the console, I get acces to my schools system and from here I can run the school-programmes at home e.g. matlab. But when I run a programme from my desktop, the arrow-keys, backspace, return and so on don't work. Everything works on my laptop.
    What is wrong?
    By the way, my desktop uses a PS2 keyboard if that makes any defference.
    Regards
    Jacob

Re: ssh don't work

Hi,

And is it working with <Ctrl>+H ?

Comment

yeah, ctrl+H works the same way as backspace...

Comment

so ctrl+H works as delete, ctrl+J works as backspace... but don't anybody know how to make this work the right way?
        Regards
        Jacob

Comment

the only way I know is to put your ~/.profile the following line :
          stty erase ^?
          After, logout and login again, you should be able to get it working...

I'm not sure about the "^?" I will check tomorrow at work... But try it and tell me how it goes.

Comment

I've made a file; ~/.profile in which i've writed stty erase with and without the "^?" but no good unfortunately...
            \\Jacob

Comment

I'd suggest reading the man page for stty. It can do a lot more than you think. Experiment! ! If you really screw up you can return things to normal by typing "stty sane".

The first thing I'd do would be to run stty --all at school and save the result. I'd then make your keys at home do the same things that the keys do on your school system. However, I wouldn't make these permanent changes in your .profile. Instead I'd right a little one line script with the stty changes that need to interact with the school computer and run that script before running ssh.

Comment

Hi,

Maybe you're right not to add it to .profile, I did at work and it's easier to work...
                Anyway the line you can type when entering in ssh is :
                stty erase <Ctrl>+<backspace>
                It will then print a line like stty erase ^? or another character that you can copy in your .profile or not... up to you

Comment

Working...
                X