This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Problem

I recently installed Kubuntu 7.10 and I receive weirdness on it now.

The weirdness I get is I just recently installed applications such as synaptic, pidgin and aim 1.5 for linux (using RPM).

After that, I try to download stuff like Drivers for my video card, and it errors saying the Disk is Full!

The disk Kubuntu is installed on is 104GB in size. I don't see how it could be full. Also, ever since that "Disk is Full" error has been happening, I can't even get to the Desktop because when I try logging in with my username & password, it just refreshes the screen after I hit Enter and shows the login screen again.

Also, I thought I installed Kubuntu to my second drive (D:\) but when I boot back into Windows XP and go to the D:\ disk, it says it's empty. Is there any way to format the Kubuntu drive so I can re-install it? (because I don't know where it is or where it's located :P)

Thanks in advance.

Re: Kubuntu Problem

When you install an application it puts it in your root partition. I'm guessing your problem is that you set your root partition to take up only a small fraction of your harddrive and so the root is full while the hd is not even close to full.
    To check the various partitions sizes and use go to kmenu>system settings>advanced>disk & file systems.
    As you are currently stuck out of your kubuntu install just use the live cd to do this.

Also if you do reinstall it you will be given the option of manually reformating the hd during the installation process so there is no need to do it beforehand.

Note: the root partition is the one with the mount point '/'.

Comment

I have to concur with marschall.

First check the partition sizes as he suggests.

Then to reinstall I would suggest you use gparted live, there is a lot of info on partitioning here as well. Always a good read:
      http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

to set up your linux partitions as follows:
      / (root)=14Gig format as ext3
      /home = 10gig format as ext3
      /data=as large as you want/can for all of your data. Format as ext3 if you just want to access it with linux. Format as fat32 if you want access from win and linux.

Do your reinstall and use manual partitioning during install.
      Here you can appoint your partitions as needed /, /home, /data) and install.

Note: you will have to reformat / (root) at this point otherwise the installer may not recognize that partition as root.

I hope this helps

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys.

EDIT: I seem to have fixed the problem. Formatted! :P

Comment

Working...
        X