This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to download Envy

I'm new in Kubuntu and first thing I do is try to download Envy for nv driver. When I click on download at Envy's site I get a message saying this is a binary file and saving will result in a corrupt file(it shows a kate file that looks corrupt). What am I missing here? I finally ignored the message and tried to save it anyway, now I have no idea where it is. I'm using Konqueror as web browser. It's not on desktop or in home folder. Help!

Thanks, pwc

Re: Trying to download Envy

Originally posted by pwc
    I'm new in Kubuntu and first thing I do is try to download Envy for nv driver. When I click on download at Envy's site I get a message saying this is a binary file and saving will result in a corrupt file(it shows a kate file that looks corrupt). What am I missing here? I finally ignored the message and tried to save it anyway, now I have no idea where it is. I'm using Konqueror as web browser. It's not on desktop or in home folder. Help!

Thanks, pwc
    Maybe I can help. You start at this web site:

http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

You go down to where you see a table of OS's. On the left is Envy Legacy. On the right is Envy New. Since I have no clue what your OS or graphics card is, I'll suggest that you PROBABLY want the "Envy New" file, which is downloaded by clicking the link at the bottom of that column of the table.

Once the file is downloaded (to your Desktop, preferably), you will right-click on it and choose "Open With > Gdebi Installer" or something approximately like that, depending on your OS version.

The newer versions of Envy are pretty good at pulling in their own dependencies. If you observe an error where it says it can't find a dependent package, write down the name of the dependent package and then install that, and then try to install Envy again.

I use Firefox -- I'm not sure how to tell you to set the Konqueror download location, but it should not be a huge mystery. It looks like if you click on the file, Konqueror offers you a "save as" button, so click that and point it to your Desktop.

HTH!

Comment

Re: Trying to download Envy

Thanks dibl,

for your quick respond. I did exactly as you described when I got that crazy kate message. The good news is I did get the deb file by right clicking the new link and selecting "copy to" and put on desktop. I'm also use to firefox(in Ubuntu) so this was a little different. I'm going to try to use "pure kde" for a while just to see what it's like. Now I'll see if I can get Envy to install driver.

Thanks again,
      pwc

Comment

Working...
      X