X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where did the easy extract option go?[solved]

so i installed kde 4.
    messed up. kwin kept crashing and when i used fluxbox kde would crash when i pressed random things
    i uninstalled kde4, purged some of it.
    bad idea.
    it uninstalled kdm. before i restarted and realized this problem, i installed gnome
    so gdm took over. i lost konqueror, dolphin, and for some reason Pidgin (the instant messenger i use)

well i reinstalled everything, uninstalled gnome. and now i think it's all good. everything seems to work but one thing.
    when i get compressed files such as .tar.gz on my desktop, i used to be able to right click and go to
    "actions > extract here"

now when i choose actions, my only options are
    "Email File
    Encrypt File
    Download with KGet
    Send with Bluetooth..."

the only way i can extract them is to use the command line or to actually OPEN it with ark.
    yes i know, it's a minor inconvenience. the main r eason i ant to fix it is...because i'm anal about things messing up on my computer.

i tried reinstalling ark (yes is restarted afterwards). short of that i have no clue.
    my adept updater JUST gave me an update for kdm. idk if that'll fix the problem because i am not in a situation where i can restart

any ideas?

Re: Where did the easy extract option go?

You can probably fix all these problems by reinstalling the kubuntu-desktop meta package:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop
    Then, to re-enable KDM as your default display manager, open your '/etc/X11/default-display-manager' file as root:
    Code:
    kdesudo kate /etc/X11/default-display-manager
    Make sure it looks like this:
    /usr/bin/kdm
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Re: Where did the easy extract option go?

when i get compressed files such as .tar.gz on my desktop, i used to be able to right click and go to
      "actions > extract here"
      Are you using Dolphin as filemanager ?

Dolphin will install (extract here / extract to subdirectory):
      /usr/share/apps/d3lphin/servicemenus/ark_extract.desktop
      /usr/share/apps/d3lphin/servicemenus/ark_extract_subdir.desktop
      service menus /context menus. So try to reinstall Dolphin.

Or are you using Konqueror ? -> Try to reinstall Konqueror/Ark.

From Creating Konqueror Service Menus
      http://developer.kde.org/documentati...vicemenus.html
      Introduction

In KDE-speak a "servicemenu" is a special entry that appears in Konqueror's context menu depending on the file(s) that are selected. You may have seen them in action without even knowing it. For instance, if you have the KDE file archive utility "ark" installed you will see a menu entry to "Extract here..." whenever you right click on a tarball or zip file. The option to "Extract here..." is a servicemenu.

Link:
      Topic: Service Menus with Dolphin
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3088743.0
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Re: Where did the easy extract option go?[solved]

Thanks integr8e, this fixed it. However it uninstalled about 204 applications, which i had to manually install (i used ark to put them in a shell script and i executed it)

it may not have been the cleanest fix, but at least my desired result was achieved. THANKS!

and just so you know Rog131, i am using dolphin. I reinstalled both dolphin and konqueror before posting this.

Comment

Re: Where did the easy extract option go?[solved]

Cool!
          Asus G1S-X3:
          Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
          X