X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

two home folders

Hi
    I reinstalled gutsy gibbon after making my home folder on another drive on my computer. When installing I used the manual partition to prepare my installation and described the second hard drive as "home". After the installation I have two home folders. One on the hard drive with the root and one on the second drive with the folders I want. The default opening when opening "home" is the one on root and not the home folder I want. How do I change this, get the home drive to be the one I want and delete the one on root safely? My worry is that I will destroy the ability to get to the home I want if I simply do delete to the home on root.
    Errol

Re: two home folders

Can you post /etc/fstab?
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Personally I'd suggest booting from the live cd (to avoid switching /home while using it) and then just changing the mount points in kmenu>system settings>advanced>disk & file systems.

I imagine this would do the trick.

Comment

my /etc/fstab
        Errol

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
        #
        # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
        proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
        # /dev/sda2
        UUID=db8f0b58-4f27-457a-8a8a-2efa003f447d / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
        # /dev/sdb6
        UUID=7ad8b776-010d-4c33-9785-58841d187972 /home ext3 defaults 0 2
        # /dev/sda1
        UUID=01C8558B12791780 /media/sda1 ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
        # /dev/sdb1
        UUID=042840C32840B608 /media/sdb1 ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
        # /dev/sdb2
        UUID=922CE4EE2CE4CE73 /media/sdb2 ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
        # /dev/sdb5
        UUID=0640D86940D860CB /media/sdb5 ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
        # /dev/sda5
        UUID=9ca2d064-6a02-4b50-9fdf-4f351bfa233c none swap sw 0 0
        /dev/hda /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
        /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec 0 0

Comment

From what I can see your sdb6 is mounted as /home.

I don't know how you got two home folders if you reinstalled GG and specified /home on sdb6.
          But it seems that your boot prefers /home on your root partition.

I take it /home (sdb6) is accessible, if not not you will have to make it active in systemsettings->advanced->haddisks & files.
          First you will have to move all the files in your root /home (username, etc) to /home (sdb6).
          You will have to this as user otherwise those folders will inherit root permissions.

Now you will have to boot into recovery mode, type startx at the prompt and go to systemsettings->user management->edit user and point your user to that partition (sdb6).
          Now you can delete (or rename until everything works) your root /home and reboot.

I hope this helps
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
            First you will have to move all the files in your root /home (username, etc) to /home (sdb6).
            You will have to this as user otherwise those folders will inherit root permissions.
            Just thought I'd mention that a number of the files will be hidden ones as these contain all of your settings.

Comment

Those hidden files will be in your /home/username folder. But since you are moving that folder in its entirety anyway you won't have to worry about hidden files.

Edit: Don't forget to give the same username you use now at install!!!!
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks for the help. I used the solutions fintan suggested. It solved the problem as SDB6 was accessible. I still haven't heard of a reason for there to be another home drive on root but that's what happened.
                Errol

Comment

if you're problem is solved, could you please change the subject to "two home folders[solved]"

thanks

Comment

Cheers and glad to be of a bit of help.

I still haven't heard of a reason for there to be another home drive on root but that's what happened.
                    I have seen this with other distros and usually it as down to "human" failure
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Re: two home folders(solved but still trying to understand why)

The "human failure" could be me but I don't know what I did to create another home folder on root. Root and its directories are created automatically - no?
                      Errol

Comment

Normaly the install creates a /home folder in / when none has been designated.

Well, what I mean was for example, while installing pclinux I didn't realize that I hadn't mounted the /home partition as /home, so I had two "homes" one on root and one not mounted. It took me a while to figure that one out

The live cd has its quirks on some machines.
                        So as a rule I use the alternate install cd when installing *ubuntu systems.

Either way welcome to the party
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                        X