This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.0

I keep reading about how nice 4.0 is. I was wondering if this is something a newbie should try out or should I wait for the bugs too get worked out?

Thanks,
    James

Re: KDE 4.0

As I have read in several forums, version 4.0.0 was released but it can be considered as a beta version. There are several bugs around, that I personally experienced

There is a Kubuntu live CD with KDE 4 you can try. I have fun trying new versions, but for the sake of stability in my daily PC work, I'll wait some months before a full install.

Regards,
    Guillermo

Comment

I was wondering if this is something a newbie should try out or should I wait for the bugs too get worked out?
      It is up to you, BUT note that:

KDE 4 is at the moment experimental (someone might call it beta).

Warning
      Beta version of KDE are NOT encouraged for anyone needing a stable system or for anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional, even frequent, breakage. Beta versions of KDE ARE recommended for developers and those who want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing bugs.

Topic: KDE 4.0 - When a time schedule trumps a quality standard
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090311.0

KDE 4 future releases
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090578.0
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Well I followed the directions listed for 4.0. Added the line they said then installed the program they said too. But when I restarted there was a default desktop that said KDE 3.5. So does that mean that's what I go? I did install something cause my windows look different. More "smooth" I guess would be a good way to say it.

Thanks,
        James

Comment

you need to select kde4 during your login, which can be selected by using the button at the lower right portion of your login panel

Comment

Working...
          X