This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Malicious Damage KDE4

This is for Gutsy with pentium 2.8Ghz and gigabyte motherboard.

I have recently installed KE4 with directions from http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-4.0.1.php. Needless to say that kde4 is very visually appealing.

After installing KDE4 the adept package notifier states there is now an additional 41 updates. This includes new kernel updates to kernel to version 2.6.22-14.

Synpatic issues a warning that the updates cannot be verified and may be malicious. Adept updater provides no such warning against these updates.

Has anyone installed these updates I assume the error must be coming from the new kde4 repository added - verfication must be from new repository has any one chanced there arm and installed these updates ?

Are they Malicious ?
    "The problem with reality is that it leaves a lot to the Imagination" - John Lenon.

Re: Malicious Damage KDE4

If I'm not mistaken, I seem to remember reading that the Repos for KDE4 aren't signed and that message would appear. Could be wrong, but that is what this sounds like from what I remember.

Comment

That is correct, as explained here, the PPAs aren't authenticated so you will likely get a warning when installing. They are not malicious, feel free to download them. You'll get that warning anytime you'll try to install or update something from kde4.

AFAIK, KDE4 will only be merge into the official repos with Hards.
      The Nomad's Land - some Linux humor too

Comment

(Solved) Re: Malicious Damage KDE4

Oh okay because I received the message about PPA's when I installed Kde4-core which I expected but I just wasn't ready for more warnings for updates especially to the kernel.

The new kernel wont break my "envy" nvidia install will it.

PS the answer ends up being no nvidia is okay

"The problem with reality is that it leaves a lot to the Imagination" - John Lenon.

Comment

Re: (Solved) Re: Malicious Damage KDE4

Originally posted by flebber
          I just wasn't ready for more warnings for updates especially to the kernel.
          Am I terribly mistaken or the kernel shouldn't be in the PPA's?
          The Nomad's Land - some Linux humor too

Comment

There shouldn't be any kernel's in the PPA's. I just looked and found none in there. Hmmm .... that looses me on that one. Sounds like it just may be kernel update time from the ubu repo.
            Slackware 12 - 32 bit on a ABIT Fatal1ty AA8XE Motherboard w/ Pentium 4 3.6 gHz HyperThreaded CPU (OC&#39;d to 4.4 gHz) and 1066 mHz FSB, 4 GB US Modular Low Density DDR2 ram, eVGA Nvidia e-GeForce 6200 LE 512mb PCI-e x16 GFX video. Plays World of Warcraft great!<br /><br />Only Linux @ home since 1996

Comment

Working...
            X