X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Install!!!

Hello,

I am not a new linux user and not so new to kubuntu, but this problem is new to me.
    I have downloaded the latest stable release and tried to install kubuntu on my machine. All goes well until the partitioning phase ... then all is stuck! Can't choose HD and can't partition.

I have downloaded the iso again, burn it and the same problem again and again.
    Could someone shed some light on this issue?

I have 1 SATA HD Partitioned as 1.Empty 2.Win XP (NTFS), NTFS
    2 HD is ATA with 1.FAT32, 2.FAT32 3.FAT32

I was trying to install on the empty space as I usually do.

I have to say that the same problem occurs on ubuntu, but not with other distributions.

Thanks,
    Avihai

Re: Can't Install!!!

Have you provided the swap partition for Kubuntu?
    I break it, therefore I learn it.<br />

Comment

It did not get to this phase at all!
      I get a blank screen without any information on the HDs that I have.

Comment

Do you mean a black screen ? Maybe it'a graphics problem --> try " How to get started with no GUI" by dibl in the HOW TO section...I would have posted a link if I knew how to do it...
        I break it, therefore I learn it.<br />

Comment

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0

Also, have you tried the Alternate Install CD?

Comment

The GUI is OK ... when I say "blank screen" I mean that I see the GUI but no info on the partitioning window.

Comment

I will note for the record that your hard drive combination and sequence is the worst of all possibilities for Linux:

SATA + IDE/PATA, with SATA first

For the Linux installation, you might try going into your BIOS and changing the hard drive sequence so the PATA drive is in first position.

Use the Alternate Install CD (burned at 4X speed), and choose "Manual" on the partitioner.

If it works, let it write Grub to the default (hd0). Probably the boot menu will be wrong (you'll get a Grub Error 15), but we can fix that if you get the installation to work.

After installation, you change BIOS to put the drive sequence back the way you want it.

If it won't work this way (and it very well might not), then you have no choice but to temporarily disconnect the IDE/PATA drive (i.e. pull the power cable off it) while installing Kubuntu. After Kubuntu is installed, you will reconnect the power cable and then we will have to edit the boot menu to refer to the correct hard drives for Linux and Windows.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the reply - makes sense.
                I will have think about it in a more profound way ... HD sequences wise.

I will leave this topic open until I'll get things done and post my results :-)

Comment

It's confusing -- I imagine the developers could give a better technical explanation. There are three influences on the problem (at least):

1. BIOS settings -- there is variation between BIOS's, and Linux does not read all of them with the same accuracy, regarding the type and sequence of hard drives.

2. Installer's hdd detection/designation ability -- as best I can tell, the design rule is something like this "Any IDE drive found will be designated hd0 in preference to any SATA drive, regardless of what BIOS says." This results in Grub being written to the IDE drive's MBR, regardless of what you told it to do.

3. Linux kernel's hdd detection/designation ability -- this is actually pretty good -- the /etc/fstab file will usually be written correctly. But it may not match what Grub thinks is the hd0 hard drive, resulting in Grub Error 15 at the first reboot after installation.

Armed with this knowledge, it is possible to manipulate the installation to put Linux wherever you wish, but as I mentioned before, you might have to disconnect (electrically) the IDE drive to fool the installer, if you want the Grub menu written to the SATA drive's MBR.

Comment

Interesting thoughts that makes you wonder ...
                    Anyhow, I don't mine grub being written to the mbr as long as I control it without electrically disconnecting my hd.

Comment

No need to disconnect the IDE drive if you are happy with Grub going to the MBR on the IDE drive.

Comment

But that is a part of the whole problem ... if I can't control the location of installation during the installation how will I be able to tell grub to be installed on the HD that I choose?

Comment

Originally posted by Avihai
                          how will I be able to tell grub to be installed on the HD that I choose?
                          Ahh, sorry, I guess I was not clear. Let me try again.

You can control the location where Linux gets installed -- that should be no problem.

If your BIOS is like most BIOS's including mine, with your combination of IDE and SATA drive, it does not matter where you tell the installer to put Grub -- Grub is going on the MBR of the IDE drive.

So, your choice is either to accept that result, or to disconnect the IDE drive during the installation process, so Grub will be put on the MBR of the SATA drive.

Comment

Working...
                          X