This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kdesu kate won't run

Newbie here... I've been reading how to setup my network interface, i.e., kdesu kate (or nano etc.) /etc/network/interface, or Edit as Root within kate.

None of them start up. When I press enter on the command line options, no new task appears on the task bar, and nothing happens.

Do I need to install them first? How do I do that? All help much appreciated.

Re: kdesu kate won't run

I think Kate is installed by default if you are using Kubuntu.
    You can check that in you program menu >> Utilities.

If by any chance its not installed then install using apt-get or apdet.

You must be getting some error mesage at Konsole..

Comment

I can run kate just fine, can open files etc. but need to use root privileges to update system files.

This is where I'm having trouble. I can't seee any error message anywhere. Is there some log file I can check?

Comment

try kdesudo kate

or from commandline sudo kate

Comment

kdesudo doesn't exist, and many of the other posts here caution against using sudo with a gui program... recommending that I should use kdesu instead of sudo.

Thanks for the suggestions though

Comment

There is a console editor you can use even if you've never worked in a console before. It's called nano.
            If it is not installed, Install it with adept. Because it is a console app you will not see it on the K menu. You start it with a command.

Start the kde konsole app. Type "cp /etc/network/interfaces /etc/network/interfaces.old". Then type "sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces". Enter your password.

You will see a display of the /etc/network/interefaces use your arrow keys to navigate to where you want to go,
            type in whatever, type ctl-o to save and ctl-x to exit.

Comment

sudo nano gives me the same result as kdesu kate

Comment

I'm sorry, I'm a little slow what result is that? You shouldn't see anything new on the taskbar. If you installed nano from adept and then opened it from a konsole (the little crt looking thing in the kicker panel) you will see the contents of the file in the konsole display.

Comment

Originally posted by mobo
                  sudo nano gives me the same result as kdesu kate
                  If 'sudo nano', 'kdesu kate', 'kdesu kwrite' or 'Edit as Root' in konqueror don't work, something is amiss.

Have you set up multiple users? (by default only the user created on install can sudo)

Comment

Something is definitely amiss, I agree.

askriger - when I run sudo nano, the command window goes away, and nothing more happens. nano doesn't open a window with the file contents.

kubicle - it's a single user system, using the name established during the initial install.

I can run kate just fine - it opens files, i can edit them etc., but when it comes to a system file or one needing administrator mode, I can't get that to work....

Come to think of it, when I go to the network settings panel and enter administrator mode there, I see the red border, but then it goes away again and I can't use administrator mode for network stuff.

Maybe I've been barking up the wrong tree, and it's administrator mode that's broken.

Comment

I realise this is an old thread but I found it by Googling so I think it's still relevant and worth an answer!

I had the same issue just now and have resolved it. Typing "kdesu kate ~/.kde/share/config/kmixrc", into konsole threw up errors (kdesu: command not found)
                      I also tried various combinations of other commands but couldn't find one that would work.

What I found works for me is this: hit alt + F2, then type the command (kdesu kate /path/to/file) in the box that appears in the top. You can now edit and save the text file as root.

Feathers
                      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

kdesu is not in the default path and launching it links you to kdesudo in this distro.

Simpler to just use kdesudo

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                          I realise this is an old thread but I found it by Googling so I think it's still relevant and worth an answer!

I had the same issue just now and have resolved it. Typing "kdesu kate ~/.kde/share/config/kmixrc", into konsole threw up errors (kdesu: command not found)
                          I also tried various combinations of other commands but couldn't find one that would work.

What I found works for me is this: hit alt + F2, then type the command (kdesu kate /path/to/file) in the box that appears in the top. You can now edit and save the text file as root.

Feathers
                          Or alternatively, use kdesudo rather than kdesu when in Konsole. (Just tested it - kdesu doesn't work, but kdesudo works just fine)

I believe that KRunner (the thing that pops up when you hit Alt + F2) is doing a bit of automatic substitution; when you type kdesu into KRunner, it replaces it with kdesudo. Look at the title of the window that asks for your password after entering the kdesu command you mentioned in your post... the window title says "Password - KdeSudo".
                          Last edited by HalationEffect; May 14, 2013, 05:32 PM.
                          sigpic
                          "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                          -- Douglas Adams

Comment

As always, the answer is just a console window away...

Code:
                            steve@t520:~$ [B]locate kdesu[/B]
                            /etc/alternatives/kdesu
                            /usr/bin/kdesudo

steve@t520:~$ [B]ll /etc/alternatives/kdesu[/B]
                            lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Sep 16  2012 /etc/alternatives/kdesu -> /usr/bin/kdesudo*

steve@t520:~$ [B]ll /usr/bin/kdesudo[/B]
                            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 68840 Nov 15 09:22 /usr/bin/kdesudo*

Comment

Working...
                            X