This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

win2000 guest in virtualbox does not show DVD drive

I am on Kubuntu Feisty and have a win2000 guest on VB. It will not recognize my DVDRAM drive, only showing VBOX CD_ROM. I have read the docimentation and could not figure out how to do it. Could someone help?

Re: win2000 guest in virtualbox does not show DVD drive

Virtualbox 1.5.2 had a bug that would not allow you to choose the correct CD/DVD drive. This was fixed in 1.5.4...so, which version are you on?

If you are on 1.5.4, then choose settings:CD/DVD drive (probably not the right terms) and choose your correct one...

If you are on 1.5.2, then I would suggest upgrading.

mm0
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Thanks for reply. Yes, I am on 1.5.2 which was installed not too long ago on Feisty. Questions:
      1. How should I upgrade on Feisty since adept will probably install 1.5.2 again?
      2. If I upgrade, will my win2000 guest remain intact?

Comment

go to http://virtualbox.org/ and download the ubuntu .deb. To be on the safe side I would remove the existing install with adept. Not sure if that will remove your virtualbox user group or not, but I wouldn't think so.

Once you have the .deb, just install as normal, and make sure you go to settings and update the location of you CD drive.

mm0
        Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

sorry...missed the 2nd question...no, you should not lose the windows 2000 machine, but if in doubt, just make a quick backup (assuming you have the disk space)...I have done complete reinstalls of kubuntu and have not lost my XP machine...of course I make sure that my virtual disk is in my home folder, and I have a separate partition for /home...

Comment

What should I back up. I have wanted to go to win2000 to burn SystemRescue so I could use partimage to clone both my kubuntu install and a dual boot win2000 install (I tried Kb3 but am having trouble with it as well as another thread of mine attests). Would it be enough to back up the ~/.Virtualbox directory? Thanks.

Comment

backup the virtual disk...look under settings|hard disks to see where it is stored. And yes, backup the ~/.Virtualbox directory also, if the virtual HD's aren't there.

Comment

Working...
              X