X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help

Hello,

I am a noob in Linux so…I have some problems

I kan’t start my installation of Kubuntu or Ubuntu Desktop Edition 7.1 64bit on my computer. The computer boots from the cd’s but when I choose install, mem test or anything else from that menu the only thing I have on may screen is the cursor blinking line.

I got the following system:
    CPU: Intel Q6600
    MB: Asus P5K Premium WiFi
    RAM: Corsair 4x1Gb DDR2/1066
    Video: nVidia 8800GTS/640Mb
    HDD: Raid 0 2xWD Raptor 36Gb SATA
    2xWD 250gb SATA2 non Raid
    Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 3000 (Mouse and Keyboard)
    19” Samsung SyncMaster930BF
    DVDRW Asus SATA

Is there a hardware incompatibility? Because I don’t know what is happening.
    I had Kubuntu and Ubunt installed on my old computer and they worked fain.

Please help me!!!
    My e-mail is gvi70000@yahoo.com

Re: need help

Yep. This should help:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0

Comment

Hello,
      Thank you for the quick response..but
      I have this problem when i try to install Kubuntu or Ubuntu, not after the install. If the post apply to me, what is the default user and password at install?

I apologize if this sounds stupid, but i have no idea what to do ...

"For the noob, this means the first thing you see after you run the installation routine is a jet black screen with (or without) a blinking white "_" in the upper left corner. The keyboard and mouse are apparently unresponsive. Here is what to do:"...

Comment

Most likely it's your nVidia graphic card. When you are at the main menu after booting from the LiveCD, press the F4 key and select to boot in Safe Graphics mode. This should permit the installation to procede normally. Your nVidia grahics driver won't be installed, but that can be resolved later.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I try...but no result
          The computer have the same symptoms
          Any other ideas?

Comment

The 8000-series of Nvidia cards have a lot of trouble with the *buntu splash screens, such as the one that tries to show when KDM starts.

If you search Ubuntu Forum on "8800 splash" you'll probably find some help.

If you can delete the "splash" option from your kernel boot line, that should help. One way is to boot "Recovery Mode", then when it stops at the CLI, just hit Ctrl-D to have it run KDM. You might be able to observe an error, or it might go ahead and give you your login GUI.

Comment

If it is the splash, I'd try this first:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...66772#msg66772

or here, both list same solution, different explanations. I think. Been a while since I wrote these.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...66774#msg66774

Comment

Working...
              X