This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I compile/unpack a .sh file

I downloaded a binary file of Lilypond. How do I get it installed?

Re: How do I compile/unpack a .sh file

Not needed. A '.sh' file is a shell executable. If you go to the commandline and type

Code:
    sh lilypond...(whatever).sh
    it should automatically unpack and install the binaries and libraries.

(You have to 'cd' to the directory you downloaded the .sh file, first.)
    Jamendo | Wordpress | Dandelife | ccMixter | Csound

Comment

ok, here's a more step-by-step version:

1. Download the file to somewhere safe, like your home directory or the desktop.

2. Open a shell window (konsole).

3. Type 'ls'. Is your file there? If not, type 'cd Desktop' (see 3a)

3a. Type 'ls'. Is your file there? Good. Continue as below.

4. If you see your lilypond file, you can type 'sh', space, the letters 'lily' and then hit tab. Bash is smart; it autocompletes obvious filenames to save you all those typos.

5. Hit enter. You're on the road, now.

After the install, you can get rid of the .sh file.

Comment

I type is in the Konsole and I get the message "command not found"

Comment

Never mind I did the second step and it worked fine. Thanks

Comment

Sorry, one more question. Where did the file unpack to. I can't find it and when I try the run command, nothing happens. Should a shell file like this actually run?

Comment

Originally posted by blackjack72
              Sorry, one more question. Where did the file unpack to. I can't find it and when I try the run command, nothing happens. Should a shell file like this actually run?
              Yes, it should. In the konsole window, if you type 'sh whatever.sh', it should spring to life and ask if it's ok to install lilypond. If you're not seeing anything, not even error messages, I don't know what to say.

The lilypond installer cleans up after itself. It installs the binaries in /usr/local/bin and the libraries also in /usr/local/lib. Note this is under /usr/local not the more general /usr -- avoids package management collisions. There is a chance if you tried to install this as a normal user that you can't write to /usr/local -- maybe you need to run the command as "sudo sh lilypond-...(whatever).sh" to have the power to send the files there. Lilypond does NOT leave the files unpacked and lying around the directory, unlike say unpacking a .tar.gz file.

Hope this helps. If not, what messages do you see when it runs?

Comment

It did ask permission and install in the Konsole. I just can't find an icon to run the program.

Comment

Ah! I get it. By default, it doesn't work like its Windows counterpart. There's no icon.

Lilypond, as packaged, is a command line utility. If you have a .ly file, you can compile it by going to the command line and running

Code:
                  lilypond filename.ly
                  You'll see all sorts of helpful output, and you'll know if its installed, if you type

Code:
                  lilypond --version
                  and

Code:
                  lilypond --help
                  This is a general trick that works for most command line programs. You might even try it with the 'ls' program I mentioned earlier and see what you find. If the screen goes by too quick, you can pause it with a pager program called 'less'. Try this one:

Code:
                  lilypond --help | less
                  When you hit 'PgUp' or 'PgDn', you move in the file. Hit 'q' to exit.

If you want the quick path to enlightenment, try command sequences like these:

Code:
                  man lilypond

info lilypond
                  Anyway, lilypond works from the commandline and gives you a .ps file and a .pdf file. If you want to be slick, you can view the .pdf file without having to open-up-a-window-so-you-can-open-up-another-window:

Code:
                  lilypond whatever.ly

kpdf whatever.pdf &
                  (The '&' makes it run independently of the console window ... try running it without the '&' and you'll see the difference.)

Comment

Thanks. I'm beginning to get it......

Comment

Originally posted by blackjack72
                      Thanks. I'm beginning to get it......
                      Keep at it. There are all sorts of tutorials on how to use the command line, but until you really have a use for it, they don't stick. Lilypond is one of the best programs out there for musicians who are into well written sheet music. I sight read on both clefs with six different instruments (guitar, bass, keys, percussion, violin, and trumpet). Lilypond has definitely allowed me to keep my sanity when writing down my arrangements!

Heh heh, let me also say, Lilypond can produce .midi files that can be played through Timidity++, but that's another command line story for another day.

Comment

Thanks for your time bmccosar! I look forward to figuring it out

Comment

Working...
                        X