This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

links stored with windows, how to open them with Konqueror

Ok, I go to the internet cafe, I bookmark the links of the sites I like, I transfers those bookmarks to a USB key(simple drag and drop), I put the USB key in the laptop running Kubuntu and double click the link, it asks me what to open the link with: I don't know

what I would like is either some program that converts windows stored links to kubuntu stored links if possible, or at least something that helps me read the links that I have stored, thanks
    every day is a gift

Re: links stored with windows, how to open them with Konqueror

You should be able to click the "Internet" dropdown menu from the list, and select the web browser (Firefox/Konqueror/etc.) you would like to use to open the file. Kubuntu should then open a new browser window (of the type you selected) to the location of the link.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Originally posted by fleamailman
      I transfers those bookmarks to a USB key(simple drag and drop)
      I'm not clear on what you're dragging and dropping here.

With Firefox (in Windows), and all your favorite sites bookmarked, if you will click "Bookmarks>Organize Bookmarks>File>Export" and export to an html file named something obvious like "bookmarks.html", and save that file on your USB thumb drive, then in Firefox (on Kubuntu) it is the same series of menus until you choose "Import" and "from file" and browse to that USB thumb drive. I haven't tried it with Konqueror, but I wouldn't be surprised that it would import them too.

Comment

thanks, I will try it out now, they are mostly my old links that I stored from the windows browser by drag/dropping them to a file in my USB key so that when I went to a internet cafe I had my links ready to click on to, ah but when I tried clicking them with my new kubuntu system, it gave my the "open with what" reply, hence this thread but I understand now
        every day is a gift

Comment

ok, opening it with konqueror goes nowhere, but opening it with firefox gets the url link that then can be cut/pasted into the address bar so with this double step one can open windows stored links in a file on a USB key

I am happy with this then
          every day is a gift

Comment

Working...
          X