This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Kubuntu from alternate CD

And I thought installing Linux would remove my computer problems...

I have an Acer Aspire with Windows Vista and I'm tryin to install Kubuntu 6.06
    to work with my Vista. The desktop CD froze as it was supposed to do the partitioning,
    so I'm trying the alternate CD, but I have no idea on what to do with it as it's not
    as simple as the desktop cd. I am lost... HELP!

Re: Installing Kubuntu from alternate CD

The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Try this one:

Vista *** The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step
      http://apcmag.com/dualboot

My preferences, for what you want here:
      -- Do not do the partitioning using the installer; do it using GParted Live CD.
      -- You may simply use the regular Live Kubuntu Desktop installer.
      In Step 4, choose manual partitioning method.
      In Step 6, behind the Advanced button is a chance to specify where to put the bootloader GRUB (it's ok to put it in the MBR of your hard drive, which would be written as (hd0)).

But spend some time checking out that how-too; it's all there.

Edit: same link as given above
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Problem still is with the desktop and alternate CD, that they freeze in the midst
        of the installation. The alternate CD also asks something about ethernet & firewire
        or something to which I probably don't have the right answers to...

Anyway. It freaking freezes!

Comment

As you haven't stated, I must ask: did you follow the instructions for preparing your HD that has Vista installed, for installation of a second operating system? You won't get far at all if you haven't. Vista 'owns' the entire HD it is installed onto. Even if disk usage reports/shows that you have tons of unused space on the drive, Vista still controls all of it. The HD with Vista installed on it must have the volume shrunk using Vista's disk utilities. All of this is explained in my previous post (and that of Qqmike's - both are the same link).
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I shrunk the volume of the C (and D) drives releasing free space.
            ---
            This did not help both CD's still freeze during installation. Shoul I try to spend
            another three hours downloading the Kubuntu 7.10 or is the problem somewhere else?

Damn, I hate computers... >

Comment

Shoot. I'd just give up on whole Linux thing, but I only have a trial version
              of Microsoft Office and I need similar programs to do my thesis. Is there anyone
              out there who can help me?

Comment

Originally posted by Shay_13
                I only have a trial version of Microsoft Office and I need similar programs to do my thesis.
                openoffice.org

Comment

Working...
                X