This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I freaking give up....

I have tried and tried to get sound to work and just can't. Guess it's just above me or something. I have followed the directions at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449 a 100 times and still nothing. I put a different sound card to see if maybe it would help still nothing. It sees my sound card. I checked alsamixer nothing muted. I go to the alsa web page and yes my sound card is listed. I did the sudo modprobe snd-au8810 (my sound card). Now this is the only thing that is "different" when I says:

Now, press the TAB key BEFORE pressing the ENTER key to see a list of modules. Try to find the module that matches the driver you found in step 3.
    All it does is move back to the command line. OK makes since I only have one driver installed so why would it show a list, right? I added snd-au8810 to my /etc/modules, but used kate instead of nano. But same thing, right? Just one is a bit more user friendly than the other. I remove and reinstall the packages as it says too in
    Getting the ALSA drivers from a *fresh* kernel
    Still nothing. So I follow:

ALSA driver Compilation
    If you are here, then either your soundcard driver could not be loaded with modprobe, or you want to compile the drivers yourself from scratch. Good luck to you!
    There are two main ways the sources of alsa-drivers are made available to you. One is though the apt-get system. Using this system would be the recommended system since most of the heavy lifting is done for you.
    The other way, is getting the latest drivers from alsa-project.org. This page has the latest drivers available, which you might want to fix problems with. However, these have not been tested with Ubuntu and therefore should be used with caution.
    Using alsa-source
    Type the following to shell: (note: module-assistant is optional, it will compile the package for you)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r) module-assistant alsa-source
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure alsa-source
    You now have a big blue dialog box (left and right keys to choose 'Yes' and 'No', Enter key proceed). Answer yes (for ISA-PNP - recommended by package maintainers), then yes again (for debugging - recommended by package maintainers).
    Now you must pick which driver you want to install. Use space to select and deselect modules, and up and down to navigate.
    From General Help step 3, you should know the name of your driver. Deselect 'all' (the * will go away), and select your driver. In my case, I deselected 'all' then selected 'via82xx'. Hit Enter. Almost home free!
    If you chose module-assistant
    Code:
    sudo module-assistant a-i alsa-source
    If the progress bar reaches 100% with no errors, you will have installed the drivers successfully. Resume this guide from General Help step 4.
    Go back to step 4 and still nothing.

Guess I'm just too stupid to make this work.

James

Re: I freaking give up....

Getting sound working, when it isn't after installation, is a real frustrating issue - I know, I was there in the beginning. In order to 'clearly' see what your system is composed of, open a console and type:
    Code:
    sudo lshw -html > myhardware.html
    This will generate a file in html in your home directory called myhardware.html that can be viewed in Konqueror as a web page. Slick! You can upload the file in a response as opposed to posting it (please don't - it will be large and mess up the width of this thread) so it can be reviewed.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

OK,

Got the .HTML doc in my home folder. Now how do I
      upload the file in a response as opposed to posting it

I would really like to get this working. I have done a ton of research on different distro's and this is the one I decided on trying out first.

James

Comment

When you post a reply, click on Additional Options...
        You will be presented with Attach:
        At the end of the box is a blue folder icon.
        Click it and a window will open pointing to your home directory.
        Click on the file you want to upload in your post and click OK.
        Click the Post button and that's it.

Comment

Had to change it too a .txt cause it wouldn't let me upload a .html file. Hope this works.

James
          Attached Files

Comment

That's fine. I just 'Save as...' to my /home folder as an .html file. I'm looking through it now.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I know it needs more RAM and could use a larger hard drive. But it was given to me so I could play with linux so the price was right. I want to get it working before I put any money into it.

Comment

Here's what we see from the file regarding audio in your system:
                multimedia:0
                description: Multimedia audio controller
                product: AU8810 Vortex Digital Audio Processor
                vendor: Aureal Semiconductor
                physical id:
                bus info:
                pci@0000:00:07.0
                version: 02
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm cap_list
                configuration:
                driver = au8810
                latency = 32
                maxlatency = 83
                mingnt = 2
                module = snd_au8810
                and
                id:
                multimedia:1
                description: Multimedia audio controller
                product: VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller
                vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.
                physical id:
                bus info:
                pci@0000:00:11.5
                version: 50
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm cap_list
                configuration:
                latency = 0
                This 'tells me' that you have two sound cards (or one card and an on-board sound chip) in this machine. That's a problem - you can't have two sound cards/chips 'active' in the system. Do you in fact have a sound 'card' in this PC? In the file, it would be the one identified above as the AU8810 Vortex Digital Audio Processor.

Comment

Yes.. I tried to get the VIA card to work it's the on-board card. I couldn't so I installed the Aureal card in hopes a different card would be easier to get up and going.

Comment

Reboot your PC and enter the BIOS (on many PCs, you hit the Esc key - but you are usually told what key(s) to press while the system first starts up). You want to look for an option to disable the on-board sound. Save the settings and reboot. This isn't a guarantee that sound will then work, but it will put you in a position to be able to work through it.

Comment

OK disabled the only audio setting in BIOS still zero when I try to play a CD through Amarok. >

Comment

Now that you only have one 'active' audio device, verify that the normal things are set properly. Check alsamixer (command line from a console) and see what it shows/reports. Check Kmix (K Menu | Multimedia) and ensure that it isn't muted. Open K Menu | System Settings | Notifications and check the settings.

Comment

OK alsamixer nothing muted, volume all the way up.

Kmix isn't muted

Notifications is sound on.

Next.

Now I tried a factory CD in the CD-Rom as well as went too a website that I know has sound when it loads. Still nothing.

Thanks,
                          James

Comment

I know this is frustrating. Of the 'issues' that plague new Linux converts, the Top 2 remain:

1 - Sound
                            2 - Networking (wireless followed by wired)

Does your PC have Power Management as options in your BIOS? Probably 'yes.' Before playing in the BIOS again, you can try modifying the boot kernel 'options.' This can be done from the displayed Grub Boot menu by pressing the F6 key. Use your left arrow key to move the cursor to the end of the last option item (probably either quiet or splash). Move the cursor to the right so that you have a space after the last option item and then type: acpi=off and then move the cursor all the way to the right and press enter.

Most likely, you won't have sound - this does work for me on my laptop. If it doesn't, there are a few other kernel line options that can be tried.

This approach doesn't change the actual /boot/grub/menu.lst. Assuming you are able to get sound working with (one or more) kernel line options, you can then go in and edit the file and and those options 'permanently' to the file.

Comment

This can be done from the displayed Grub Boot menu by pressing the F6 key
                              Your talking about when it boots, right? I know there is an option that says something about Grub and gives me like 2 seconds to enter it or something like that. I know it when I see just don't remember 100% what is says.

James

Comment

Working...
                              X