X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Troubles starting the live-cd

Originally posted by Snowhog
    I'd reboot (without the CD) and enter you BIOS setup. Check for an option for Legacy USB support and ensure it is disabled. Check for any Power Management options. If they are enabled, disable them also. Save and reboot. Try the LiveCD again. From the boot menu, press F6 and use your left-arrow key to move the cursor. You want to delete the quiet and splash options. Then move the cursor all the way to the right and then press Enter. This will permit you to see the boot messages. If you still aren't able to successfully boot, note and report the last message that is displayed.
    I took this advice and I am now able to boot to Kubuntu with the GUI

My initial problem was that the main screen for the live CD would come up, but with any option I chose it would try to load then turn the screen black and nothing else. Sometimes if I would let it sit, my computer would start beeping constantly and fast.

This seems to have solved my issue.

Comment

I managed to intall Kubuntu 7.04 on my pc with some old cd's I had from it. But can I upgrade to 7.10 without losing what's on my hard disk?

Comment

I recently ran the upgrade routine on a 7.04 installation and it upgraded to 7.10 perfectly, after a little bit of weirdness at the very beginning, just to get it started. However, here are a couple of cautions:

1. On a broadband cable connection, it took around 45 minutes. It downloaded something like 950 files. There were periods of time when it looked like nothing was happening, for quite a few minutes -- it's necessary to resist the temptation to start clicking prematurely.

2. There are many reports on this forum and Ubuntu forum of problems with the upgrade. I suspect 95% of those reports are from someone who got impatient and intervened when they should have left it alone.

3. Backed-up data doesn't get destroyed by updates.

Comment

Working...
        X