This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Troubles starting the live-cd

Yesterday I wanted to try Kubuntu, but I could't get any further then the bootmenu, does anybody has any idea what to do?

Re: TRoubles starting the live-cd

You need to provide more information.

What type of PC do you have?
    Do you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse connected?
    What type of internal HDs do you have (IDE, SATA, PATA, ?)
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I assembled my PC myself. I do have a USB keyboard and mouse and a SATA HDD of 250GB. Currently I'm working on the most crappiest OS in the world (Vista). Oh, I have a Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 processor and a GeForce 8600GT graphics card form nVidia and my CD/dvd-writer is connected with IDE, anything else?

Comment

Vista. The first thing you *have to do* with Vista if you intend to install any other OS on the same drive as Vista, is shrink the Vista volume. If you don't, you will not be able to install the other OS. Have you already done this, or are you intending to install Linux on a second HD?

Comment

I actually was planning to get rid of it (unless that means I can't install it anymore at a later time, because then I would have wasted almost € 100).

Comment

If you purchased Vista not as an 'upgrade' (it is a full copy of Vista), then you can reinstall it 'later' if you wish.

Comment

Ok that's fine, I got the system builder licence. But back on track, do you have any idea on how to get Kubuntu to work?

Comment

Describe what happens when you boot from the LiveCD.

Comment

Re: Troubles starting the live-cd

The computer starts as normal, and I get to the bootmenu. I choose 'Start/Install Kubuntu'. Then my monitor states 'No Input' and goes standby. Right after that the cd/dvd-drive gives some activity and then stops. Then I'm just left with the fans turning and that's it.

Comment

I'd reboot (without the CD) and enter you BIOS setup. Check for an option for Legacy USB support and ensure it is disabled. Check for any Power Management options. If they are enabled, disable them also. Save and reboot. Try the LiveCD again. From the boot menu, press F6 and use your left-arrow key to move the cursor. You want to delete the quiet and splash options. Then move the cursor all the way to the right and then press Enter. This will permit you to see the boot messages. If you still aren't able to successfully boot, note and report the last message that is displayed.

Comment

I did as you told. After seeing the same messages, but with different numbers, over and over again for 20 minutes long, I decided to go back here. Here's what I got, over and over again:
                      Code:
                      [ $$$$.$$$$$$]sr 0:0:1:0 [sr0] Sense Key:Hardware Error [current]
                      [ $$$$.$$$$$$]sr 0:0:1:0 [sr0] Add. Sense: Timeout on logical unit
                      [ $$$$.$$$$$$]end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector $$$$$$$
                      [ $$$$.$$$$$$]Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block $$$$$$
                      [ $$$$.$$$$$$]SQUASHFS error: sb_bread failed reading block $x$$$$$
                      [ $$$$.$$$$$$]SQUASHFS error: Unable to read page, block µµµµµµµµ, size µµµ
                      [ $$$$.$$$$$$]sr 0:0:1:0 [sr0] result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE, SUGGEST_OK
                      where every '$' can be replaced by a random decimal number, and every 'µ' by a hexadecimal number. Also, the same happened with 'sd0' replaced by 'fd0'.
                      And maybe this is important: I don't have a floppy drive.

Comment

Watch for replies from Qqmike and/or dibl. Two possible issues here. One, the SATA HD (and the CD drive), and two, the LiveCD itself - based on the messages you posted.[sr0] is I believe, your CD Drive. The SQUASHFS error is directly related to the compressed kernel on the LiveCD.

Comment

@Yarr, what is the model of the motherboard?

Also, I would encourage you to download and burn the ISO for the "Alternate Install" CD, either 32-bit or 64-bit, as you wish. I don't know that it's a video problem, but if so the "dumb VGA" on the Alternate Install CD might help get you past it.

Comment

Could it be a badly-burned CD? It happens from time to time. Did you verify the CD? Can you try burning it again, at a lower speed?

Comment

I have an asus p5k se motherboard. And I'll try the alternate cd as soon as I have time for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X