This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cd tray not opening

Just tried to use K3b and noticed cd/dvd button does not open tray. Anyone have any ideas?

Re: cd tray not opening

Sounds like hardware issues ( ? ).

Open Konsole, type
    eject
    (or, if you have to, sudo eject).
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

A cold boot solved prob but not a warm boot. Don't know why.

Comment

Now I go back to K3b and again cd button doesn't open the tray. Could the problem be related to k3b? Help much appreciated.

Comment

Got it to work but who knows when prob will recur.

Comment

Does
            eject
            work at Konsole?

Yes, it most definitely can be the driver. Have you got the latest driver from the manufacturer's web site? This is NOT my cup of tea, so be careful. Specifically, somehow make sure you can revert to the older driver in case the newer one is worse.

I have also had this issue in the past with my Sony DRU-810 DVD writer; it was irregularly occurring, and finally it just quit misbehaving and has been fine this past 18 months. I did get the driver update but can't really relate that to the behavior of the drive one way or the other. -- fyi

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Problem recurred. Yes, eject worked but button did not close. The drive is
              LG GSA-40408. Haven't tried a cold boot again but that is not much help in using K3b when i can't put in blank disk when prompted. The problem seems to be intermittent and I have noticed it almost every time when trying to use K3b.

Comment

I suppose you already tried the CD tray when not using K3b? -- just normal use (open, save, copy/move work)?

You could try to load the CD before opening K3b. Then open K3b; see if K3b sees the CD, then work from there; then close K3b, then eject.

Also, how about playing with a K3b setting:

Open K3b > Settings (tab at top) > Configure K3b > Advanced > Uncheck the box “Do not eject medium after write process.”
                (to see if it WILL eject medium afterwards.)

Comment

Thanks a lot. Will try yr suggestions and report back. Incidentally, I think tray opens in normal use, can't say always except for K3b, but it certainly has. It seems that after a K3b incident, I have to do a cold boot to get it working again. Thanks so much for your help.

Comment

Here is my report:
                    1.Changed K3b to eject after process.
                    2.Tried eject via terminal. Didn't work.
                    3.Cold reboot.
                    4.DVD drive worked via button.
                    5.Put in disk. MyDisk opened. I chose to open in Konqueror.
                    6.Opened tray via button, took out disk and closed tray.
                    7.Brought up K3b via Kmenu. Tray would not open with button or via eject in terminal.
                    I didn't try to load tray and invoke K3b because I would have to do a cold reboot, which I will eventually have to do anyway. It seems clear that K3b is part, maybe all, of the problem. I am going to try to get to K3b maintainer and possibly stary a new threas "K3b interfers with opening of DVD tray"

Comment

I think you're justified in your conclusion, after all the patient observation you've done. and/or, might try some google, or checking bug reports; could be a driver issue (your original idea) with LG vs K3b...?

(irrelevant now: also, right-click > eject on the Desktop icon is another way, but it won't be any better than the command eject)

This kind of thing: Eject CD with K3b
                      http://www.google.com/search?q=Eject...ient=firefox-a

Comment

Working...
                      X