X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

user permission

HI.

I'm trying to change the permissions on my home folder so that only I have access to it. I went to my home folder, right clicked on my name, and then clicked the permissions tab. At the bottom I enabled "Apply changes to all subfolders and their contents." I clicked OK and this brought up an Error - Konquer box that said "Access denied to /home/(myname)/.kde/share/config/adept_managerrc."

Could anyone tell me how to access this? I'm the only user on the computer so I assume my access should be unlimited.

Also, how do I go about setting up a guest users account, with a password if they want one, that I can still access. I may lend my computer out to someone someday but I want to make sure they can't do anything that I can't access, can't erase, or that's illegal. Thank y'all.

Re: user permission

Not 100% as I am only a few days into linux myself.

I'm trying to change the permissions on my home folder so that only I have access to it
    I would guess you need to be logged in as Root in order to change this.

how do I go about setting up a guest users account, with a password if they want one,
    Click "K"; "System Settings"; "User Management"; "Administrator Mode" and from there should just click "New" and then add the information you want giving them the type of access you want the guest user to have.

Like I said I'm very new but this would be my guess on the answer.

Thanks
    James

Comment

Thanks. How do I log in as the root user?

Comment

What tells:

Code:
        ls -l /home/(myname)/.kde/share/config/adept_managerrc
        It should be something like this (user rog):
        -rw------- 1 rog rog 44 2008-01-04 15:20/home/rog/.kde/share/config/adept_managerrc
        If it is something like this:
        -rw------- 1 root root 44 2008-01-04 15:20 /home/rog/.kde/share/config/adept_managerrc
        then maybe :

Kubuntu Forums > Important Information > Documentation > Bugs > Topic: Kubuntu Gutsy Known Problems
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3088541.0

=> kdesudo problems

Reseting ownership of the files to your user:
        Code:
        sudo chown -Rv <insert-username>.<insert-groupname> /home/<insert-username>/.kde
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by texangod
          Error - Konquer box that said "Access denied to /home/(myname)/.kde/share/config/adept_managerrc."
          The config file is probably (incorrectly) owned by root. You can change ownership several ways, one is to start konqueror 'as root' with:
          Code:
          kdesu konqueror
          You can then change the files properties.

Also, how do I go about setting up a guest users account, with a password if they want one, that I can still access. I may lend my computer out to someone someday but I want to make sure they can't do anything that I can't access, can't erase, or that's illegal. Thank y'all.
          You can create normal (not admin) user accounts as you wish, you can always access the files of those accounts 'as root'.

Do remember, though, that if you allow those users physical access to the machine, they can get root powers one way or another...should they so choose (provided they are semi-proficient with computers).

EDIT: ah, rog beat me to it

Comment

Working...
          X