X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continuous freezing

Dear all,
    I am a Linux newbie. I have dual boot ( Windows Vista 64bit) and Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon on my HP 6710b ( GB893EA, 2,2 gb intel core 2 duo, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HD...). Since Kubuntu was installed i have experienced numerous problems:
    1.Knetworkmanager
    It disconnetcts from the wirelless router on its own, sometimes after 15 min and sometimes after a longer period of time.At the same time the Knetworkmanager icon disappears from the taskbar and if I try to run it from Kmenu->Internet->Knetworkmanager nothing happens, except that the computer freezes and i have unplug the power cord since none of the buttons work ( ctrl+esc, alt+ctrl+backspace...)
    2. The computer also freezes while I'm on the internet or just watching a movie, in fact this is the second version of this article because it freezed while I was typing the first one.
    3. The computer doesn't want to shut down or restart-the screen goes black and there are some errors ( like: Knetworkmanager...terminated).At the end the computer says "will now restart/halt" but it fails to do so, so I'm back at unplugging it from the electricity cord.

I really don't know whether I should install the entire OS again or whether it can be fixed by typing some strange codes in the konsole...is it possible that my computer (HP) doesn't play well with Linux? Or should I just try another distribution ( I think I read that SuSe Linux is good for HP computers.)

If anyone can help me...I would be most grateful.
    Bye,
    Anna
    I break it, therefore I learn it.<br />

Re: Continuous freezing

OK, on #2 and #3, this might help:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3088251.0

Hopefully that will bring the cord-pulling to an end!

I have recently been observing Firefox doing a "freezing thing" on my Kubuntu Gutsy installation, and I'm not sure what is causing that. This is where is stops and turns "gray" or "monochrome" for a period of time. I've got a pretty fast computer so it comes back in a half-minute or so, but I can imagine a slower CPU would kind of just die for awhile. I've spent only a short while investigating it, and have observed other posts complaining about it, but I don't yet know what the cause is.

Knetwork manager is known to have some issues in some situations. I would suggest you run a search or two on this forum and see what others have done to deal with it. I don't use wireless (yet) so I'm not proficient on that.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Checking you have the correct drivers installed for the correct wireless card is the first thing i would check, as i have problems with a HP actually having a Dell wireless card. A quick google is saying that you have the Intel Pro wireless. I would do a search on that in this and the ubuntu forum to see if you get any results. As for knetworkmanager i would strongly susgest looking at WICD

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/
      Using:<br />Mint Kubuntu 7.10 (kde4 dual core 2.2ghz 4gb)<br />Freenas (nx6325 hp laptop)<br />Mint Gnome 7.10 (EEE Pc 4g white 1 gb ram)

Comment

I took your advice and downloaded wicd...and my laptop hasn't frozen since.

Thank you both

Comment

nps, glad to help
          Using:<br />Mint Kubuntu 7.10 (kde4 dual core 2.2ghz 4gb)<br />Freenas (nx6325 hp laptop)<br />Mint Gnome 7.10 (EEE Pc 4g white 1 gb ram)

Comment

Just testing

just trying to learn how to paste a link

Comment

Hah hah hah --- GREAT CHOICE!

Gee, are we all the way up to, count 'em -- TWO ladies using this Forum regularly? Wow, it begins to feel absolutely DIVERSE!

Comment

Ladies? here? never lol

Comment

Do you boys seriously think we'd let you have all the fun? :P

Comment

course not, that'd be against female genetics lol

Comment

Working...
                    X