This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed Virtualbox now sound and network devices not working

I installed Virtualbox and had some errors that would not allow it to create a virtual server. I looked up the errors on google and found several places that said to do the things below. After I did that when I restarted Gutsy my sound control on the toolbar was x'd out and it seems my sound device and network device are now missing and it has no sound or ability to connect to the internet. I restored those files I edited back to their original form and restarted but the problem was still there. I uninstalled Virtualbox and that didn't help. I don't know what caused the problem but how can I get those devices back?

Basically, in the file /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh you need to edit the lines:

Code:

#
    # Magic to make /proc/bus/usb work
    #
    #mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
    #domount usbfs "" /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
    #ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices
    #mount --rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb

to look like this (removing four #'s):

Code:

#
    # Magic to make /proc/bus/usb work
    #
    mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
    domount usbfs "" /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
    ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices
    mount --rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb
    and

Sudo edit the file /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules, locate the following line:

# USB devices (usbfs replacement)

SUBSYSTEM==”usb_device”, MODE=”0664″

Change the line to:

# USB devices (usbfs replacement)

SUBSYSTEM==”usb_device”, GROUP=”vboxusers”, MODE=”0664″

Shared

Re: Installed Virtualbox now sound and network devices not working

Any ideas before I reinstall Gutsy?

Comment

Here is my experience with VirtualBox: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...9851#msg109851

Now it did come down to other issues with my system (faulty USB HUB). I have also reinstalled VirtualBOx and have not had issues, but I do use it sparingly and mostly to run LiveCD ISO images. Were you able to remove VirtualBox completely from your system (including any hidden folders in your "home" folder)?

Comment

I used synaptic to do a complete uninstall and it never put any files in my home folder, the errors I was getting wouldn't let it get that far. So as far as I know I have it completely removed. And I don't know if it was caused by Vbox or the file changes I mentioned above.

Comment

Last call before I reinstall Gutsy. Anyone know how I can detect and start using my audio and network devices that are MIA?

Comment

I dunno about VirtualBox -- barely started playing with it when VMWare Player 2.0 was released and solved my virtual machine problem.

However, it doesn't seem that your audio system or networking should have been "permanently" affected by having installed VB. Can't you follow the sound troubleshooting guide here and get it working:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

like you would if it was a new installation with a problem?

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              Can't you follow the sound troubleshooting guide here and get it working:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

like you would if it was a new installation with a problem?

Actually it appears that I can't since the networking is part of the problem so no access to the internet to download the fixes on that guide.

But I went to K>System Settings>Network Settings and finally figured out you have to scroll down to find the Administrator Mode button that was hiding off the screen. With that I found and selected something that said something like enable on startup. So now Knetworkmanager is finding the network card but I can't get it to connect to the internet with a wire or find any wireless networks. So all the settings must have got hosed that Gutsy nicely installed automatically during install. So now I get to look through all the posts about network and wireless problems.

Never mind I decided to reinstall Gutsy so no more problem.

Comment

Working...
              X