• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

errors when entering sudo kate

In the Konsole when I enter

sudo kate "file to open"
    I get the following error.

Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-me" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
    Error: "/tmp/kde-me" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
    Error: "/tmp/ksocket-me" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.

It has done this since I installed Gutsy but other than getting the error the command works fine. Anyone know what this is and if it is a problem?

Re: errors when entering sudo kate

me too, forever
    sometimes have to restart X (Control+Alt+Backspace) or re-start the machine etc etc

try this:

kdesudo kate /etc

or

kdesudo konqueror
    (to open Konqueror as root)

etc.

=> kdesudo
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

when I typed
      kdesudo kate /boot/grub/menu.lst
      I got:

kbuildsycoca running...

DCOP Cleaning up dead connections.

kdecore (KProcess): WARNING: _attachPty() 11

(and menu.lst opened in Kate OK--no problems, but I did get that message each time, not a big deal, though, as long as it works )

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

sudo command is used for running commands in a terminal session as, or that require, root permissions. kdesu application is used to launch an application as 'root' from the command line.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

what's the point? so what?

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
            There's a good explanation here:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo

Scroll down. The top stuff is about gksudo, but kdesu is discussed further down.

I learned a cool trick yesterday -- you can right click on a file in Konqueror and select 'edit as root'. I think it's a general principle that anything routine you could accomplish from the command line can be done in KDE with some sort of nifty GUI shortcut.
            Jamendo | Wordpress | Dandelife | ccMixter | Csound

Comment

"...keep encouraging people to not use sudo for graphical applications so they won't potentially mess up their ~/.ICEauthority and other user configuration files."

Comment

bmccosar,: " There's a good explanation here:
                http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo
                Scroll down. The top stuff is about gksudo, but kdesu is discussed further down."

Yes, thats a well-known explanation from her about graphical apps and avoiding low-probability but risky issues otherwise.

Good catch about the right-click Edit as Root. It's very useful.
                When you open Konqueror as root, you can more easily do stuff like copy/paste into directories that require root privileges. But if you only need to edit one file (like menu.lst or fstab), you are correct that Edit as Root is quick, safe, and handy. You should always make a backup of an important file you are changing, but I doubt that many people do so. In GUI, it's easy:
                File > Save As > name_of_file.backup and save it in your /home or even in the same directory you are working from (like /etc for fstab or /boot/grub for menu.lst).

Again, bmccosar, good catch on both issues.

I've been criticized (by experts) for using sudo su to get a root prompt in Konsole (or terminal). At the same time, I read experts who tell you to do so. What I know from personal, hands-on experience (theory aside) is that there are times when nothing worked to get a root prompt except, finally, at last, sudo su. So what? -- I do what I have to do to get the work done, religious (computing) issues aside.

And so it goes . . .

Comment

Qqmike -

You are an experienced user - dare say, one who enjoys 'pushing the limits' of his knowledge and expertise, and because of that, many of us here (myself included) have learned from you. But many who find there way here are not. They are 'newbies' and don't have the understanding that you have gained. I didn't know the difference between sudo and kdesu(do) when I first ventured into Kubuntu. I was fortunate that I didn't end up messing my system 'unknowingly' by (mis)using sudo vs kdesu.

I value the knowledge that you have, and are so willing to share. I hope that my previous post didn't offend - it was not intended to.

Comment

I've been criticized (by experts) for using sudo su to get a root prompt in Konsole (or terminal). At the same time, I read experts who tell you to do so. What I know from personal, hands-on experience (theory aside) is that there are times when nothing worked to get a root prompt except, finally, at last, sudo su. So what? -- I do what I have to do to get the work done, religious (computing) issues aside.
                    Agreed, and thanks for the tips. I've really come to love KDE in the past week. I feel sort of like a moron for not catching on to it sooner, but now I'm just considering it a late Christmas present I've sped up 100% in terms of music production.

I think this issue is like many things in Linux ... or in Perl ... there's more than one way to do it. Personally, I like getting rid of the su, and prefer the sudo methods.

Then again, on my very first distro, I pulled the unfortunate trick of accidentally chmod'ing all my /usr/bin files to read only while in a root terminal while trying to make some hidden directories unreadable (I had no idea that chmod -R 400 .* would also find .. , the parent directory, and recurse down the entire file system -- arrgh.)

So I've been paranoid about root login for years. The sudo thing forces me to be aware at each step that my actions could have global consequences.

Still, not everyone needs to write on lined paper. That's why there are other solutions.
                    Jamendo | Wordpress | Dandelife | ccMixter | Csound

Comment

Snowhog says: “You are an experienced user...”

I am only experienced at what I have experienced.

Comment

Thanks all, my question was answered that it is not a problem.

Comment

I am only experienced at what I have experienced.
                          If you were more experienced, I would be asking how? That's some neat trick.

"You have to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Hyman_G._Rickover

Mike
                          http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

"You have to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself." -- Rickover

The quality of one's learning, the depth of the understanding gained, is a direct function of the hands-on time you have spent. Learning only by the theory yields a very limited understanding. Even in pure mathematics, as theoretical as you can get, you don't learn much from studying the theory. You really only learn by struggling with a problem night after night, in the dirtiest, most unstructured, and frustratingly inconsistent ways; in some cases, by making mistakes so horrendous they qualify as idiocy.

Now this one, Mike:
                            “If you were more experienced, I would be asking how? That's some neat trick.”

I missed it. Would that not mean that one had experienced more?

Comment

I was meaning to say that if you had gained experience from something you had not experienced, would it really be experience and how would it be accomplished?

Mike
                              http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X