This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huge problems and massively unimpressed so far

Here's a thread I started on another forum, it details my problems with 7.10 so far ....
    ------
    Subject: Getting Linux working post id: 562258
    Okay, got it installed.

Sound isn't working. (not worried about that yet)

I have the right driver/file to make the Nvidea 6800GT video card work, but how do I install the driver? I opened Konsole shell thingy, but it wants a root user or something. How do I do that?

I also have the (spposedly) right driver/file to make the wireless networking card run. The install instructions make little sense. The file name is madwifi-0.9.3.3 How do I install this?
    ====
    Subject: re: Getting Linux working post id: 562260
    Does the current graphics driver work well enough?

Check that your outputs aren't muted - type alsamixer and hit enter at a command prompt.

Is there a pre-packaged driver for your WIFI card?

What distro are you using?
    ====
    Subject: re: Getting Linux working post id: 562262
    [q]but it wants a root user or something. How do I do that?[/q]

remember that password you used when you installed ?

that and your user name is the root user

so when prompted to go root - type in both in the appropriate boxes and you're rooted
    ====
    Subject: re: Getting Linux working post id: 562264
    Does the current graphics driver work well enough?
    ---

It works, but the screen is native resolution at 1900 x 1200. I'm only able to get 1280 x 1024 right now.
    There also appears to be very poor 3D acceleration.

Check that your outputs aren't muted - type alsamixer and hit enter at a command prompt.
    ---

Did that - the command prompt disappeared and nothing happened.

Is there a pre-packaged driver for your WIFI card?
    ---

I don't think so. It's a Netgear WG311.

What distro are you using?
    ---

Kubuntu 7.10

Also, got your email, thanks.
    And that doesn't work either.
    ====
    Subject: re: Getting Linux working post id: 562266
    remember that password you used when you installed ?

that and your user name is the root user

so when prompted to go root - type in both in the appropriate boxes and you're rooted
    ---

I'm not prompted to do so.
    How do I make it do that?
    ====
    Subject: re: Getting Linux working post id: 562267
    [q]Kubuntu 7.10[/q]

Oh dear

Subject: re: Getting Linux working post id: 562268
    ---
    Also, got your email, thanks.
    And that doesn't work either.
    ---

It'll only run under Windows.

ALl these problems. PEBKAC?
    ====
    Subject: re: Getting Linux working post id: 562269
    in a terminal

billsdomain$ su <enter>

you get prompted for the password
    then you have admin rights

====
    Subject: re: Getting Linux working post id: 562270
    [q]ALl [/q]

nerves ?

Subject: re: Getting Linux working post id: 562271
    are you using Ubuntu ? if so hopefuly the Kubuntu user here will log on with info, Collie i think knows Kubuntu

but different from windows, linux distros have repositories of software, so usually no need to find and download drivers or programs, but use the inbuilt repository program in Kubuntu to install the relavant software :-)

have a look through the Kmenu to find the software installer, sorry i mainly use openSUSE, just a bit different :-)

it may have generic password after install i think Ubuntu dioes that ie. root - root, admin - root, your username - password or similar
    ====
    Subject: re: Getting Linux working post id: 562272
    In general most software you're going to want to install in Linux will be available from the package management system and it's best to install it from there rather than downloading it and installing it manually.

In Ubuntu the nVidia drivers can be installed easily in the Restricted Drivers Manager. Kubuntu should have something very similar.

It sounds like K/Ubuntu also comes with the madwifi drivers and apparently "Madwifi chipsets should therefore 'just work'." (http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/Distro/Ubuntu).

If you want to run a command as root (the superuser) in a console, you run:
    sudo command_here
    You'll be prompted to type your password. But you shouldn't need to do that for the nVidia drivers, you can install them through the GUI.
    ====
    Subject: re: Getting Linux working post id: 562273
    It'll only run under Windows.
    ---

Yeah IO know. I'm talking about two different things.

ALl these problems. PEBKAC?
    ---

FIIK.
    I keep hearing how easy Ubuntu is, I'm yet to see it ...
    ====
    Subject: re: Getting Linux working post id: 562274
    in a terminal

billsdomain$ su <enter>

you get prompted for the password
    then you have admin rights
    ---

Bash: billsdomain$: command not found
    ====
    Subject: re: Getting Linux working post id: 562275
    [q]I keep hearing how easy Ubuntu is, I'm yet to see it ...[/q]
    it's pretty easy

have a dig through the Ubuntu forum
    ====
    Subject: re: Getting Linux working post id: 562276
    I keep hearing how easy Ubuntu is, I'm yet to see it ...

PClinuxOS is probably the easiest, preferred for me after openSUSE :-)
    ====
    Subject: re: Getting Linux working post id: 562277
    Bash: billsdomain$: command not found
    just the su
    ===
    Subject: re: Getting Linux working post id: 562278
    does it have the add/remove software GUI (package manager ?)

I don't use Ubuntu or KDE
    ====
    Subject: re: Getting Linux working post id: 562279
    In Ubuntu the nVidia drivers can be installed easily in the Restricted Drivers Manager. Kubuntu should have something very similar.
    ---

It does have that and I ticked the box to make it work, but the error message comes up ->

The software source for the package nvidia-glx-new is not enabled.

So that doesn't work either.
    ====
    Subject: re: Getting Linux working post id: 562281
    [q]Bash: billsdomain$: command not found[/q]

just the su
    ---

Did that, used *exactly* the right passowrd, and got ->

su: Authenication failure.

So that doesn't work either.
    ====
    Subject: re: Getting Linux working post id: 562282
    does it have the add/remove software GUI (package manager ?)

I don't use Ubuntu or KDE
    ---

Yep.
    ====
    Subject: re: Getting Linux working post id: 562283
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=582362

Subject: re: Getting Linux working post id: 562285
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=582362

From that thread ->

"Tick all the boxes in Software Sources (main, restricted, universe, multiverse)."

There doesn't seem to be any options for that.
    ====
    Subject: re: Getting Linux working post id: 562287
    that is ubuntu forums, try kubuntu forums

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php

:-)
    ====
    Subject: re: Getting Linux working post id: 562289
    Try to get WINE to install from the option - Boom, crash every time.

Fairly farking unimpressive so far.
    ====
    Subject: re: Getting Linux working post id: 562290
    ===

Fairly farking unimpressive so far.
    ===

I can't understand why you are having so many problems. My install was pretty faultless.
    -----------------------------

Guys, PLEASE how do I get the network card and Nvidia driver working??

Re: Huge problems and massively unimpressed so far

First, Welcome to the Kubuntu Forums. Second, the nature of your post isn't going to garner much approval. Posting the entire contents of a thread from another Forum or listserve, and expecting others to filter through it to figure out what you are asking help on isn't going to go over well at all. That said, reading your last sentence, you are looking for help with your network card and video card. There is help here. I would ask you to modify your post (click the modify button) and remove everything you just posted, and simply state your question: How do I get my video card and network card configured?

You will need to provide us with:

Version of Kubuntu you are running.
    Whether you have a 32 or 64-bit CPU
    Model of Nvidia card you have
    Manufacture/model network card and how it's connected (internal, USB, ?)

You are going to get a better response from the members here if you do this. This Forum (as well as others) has some 'loose rules' designed to help members get the most from the Forum. Our host, Open Source, has a Help section that is full of very good information, and you can review it by clicking on the Help link in the upper right corner of the main title bar.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'll leave the long text up, I'm just trying to make life easier for the people that might help, so they don't have to repeat things that have already been done.

Version of Kubuntu you are running - Kubuntu 7.10
      Whether you have a 32 or 64-bit CPU - Athlon64 x2 4200
      Model of Nvidia card you have - 6800GT 256meg
      Manufacture/model network card and how it's connected (internal, USB, ?) - Internal PCI, Netgear WG311 V3.

The network card thingy was delved into a little more on the other forum and we came up with this ->
      00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb Host Bridge (rev a1)
      00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb LPC Bridge (rev a2)
      00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation nForce 250Gb PCI System Management (rev a1)
      00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK8S USB Controller (rev a1)
      00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK8S USB Controller (rev a1)
      00:02.2 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev
      a2)
      00:05.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation CK8S Ethernet Controller (rev a2)
      00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb AC'97 Audi
      o Controller (rev a1)
      00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK8S Parallel ATA Controller (v2.5) (r ev a2)
      00:0a.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK8S Serial ATA Controller (v2.5) (rev a2)
      00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb AGP Host to PCI Bridge (rev a2)
      00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb PCI-to-PCI Bridge (rev a2)
      00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTra nsport Technology Configuration
      00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
      00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Con troller
      00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscella neous Control
      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV40 [GeForce 6800 GT] (re v a1)
      02:07.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88w8335 [libertas] 80 2.11b/g Wireless (rev 03)
      02:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 03)
      02:09.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy Game Port (rev 03)
      02:09.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Creative Labs SB Audigy FireWire Port

Comment

Did you install the 64-bit or the 32-bit version of Kubuntu? Doesn't make a huge difference for most purposes, but it's one of the things to be taken into consideration.

Firstly, whoever told you Linux was "easy" apparently used that term in the sense of "Mandarin is easy for a native-speaker". In other words, NOT! I'd say daily use of a Linux system is pretty easy, but installing and configuring a Linux system is not like anything you've ever done before, and errrrrr ... complicated.

So, having said that, I recommend a "one thing at a time" approach -- usually folks first want their GUI to work. I also had bad luck with the Restricted Drivers Manager, but it didn't give me the error it gave you. For fun, let's give it one more try. First open your Konsole and just copy and paste in these commands to get the packages needed for a proprietary driver installation:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install build-essential
        {hit "Enter" and give your password}

Code:
        sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`

Code:
        sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new

If you see a series of operations with no error messages, i.e. it appears to complete the operations and returns you to the prompt, then you can close the Konsole, and click "Restricted Driver Manager" again, and let's see what happens.

If it fails again, unclick it and follow this guidance to download and install the Envy script installer:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086232.0

Let us know how you fare, and once we get the video thing working correctly, we'll have a look at Priority #2, which you can identify.

Comment

It's a 64bit install.

Originally posted by dibl
          For fun, let's give it one more try. First open your Konsole and just copy and paste in these commands to get the packages needed for a proprietary driver installation:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install build-essential
          Thanks!
          However it doesn't seem to work at the end.
          "reading packae lists ... done
          buillding dependency tree
          reading state information .... done
          E: couldn't find package build-essential

Code:
          sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
          Same first three lines, then it again couldn't find the package.

Code:
          sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new
          Similar, but a longer message saying that it can't find the package.

If you see a series of operations with no error messages, i.e. it appears to complete the operations and returns you to the prompt, then you can close the Konsole, and click "Restricted Driver Manager" again, and let's see what happens.
          As it has done every time before, it fails to enable.

If it fails again, unclick it and follow this guidance to download and install the Envy script installer:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086232.0

Let us know how you fare, and once we get the video thing working correctly, we'll have a look at Priority #2, which you can identify.
          I downloaded it, and it came up with the error message "dependency is not satisfiable: python-gtk2"
          It also seems to be a script that downloads the nvidia drivers from the Internet, and I can't do that at the moment either because the wireless network card isn't working.

So still not much luck sorry.

Comment

Excellent - now we're getting somewhere!

There's clearly a problem with your sources list (the list of enabled repositories). Open Adept Manager, click "Adept" and then "Repositories" and make sure that "universe" and "multiverse" are checked, in addition to whatever is already checked. I assume you've already removed your CD from the sources under "Third Party" tab -- if not do that and you can stop being annoyed by the demand to insert your CD.

When you think the sources are correct, click "Refresh" or "Fetch" or whatever it says there at the left end of the Adept top bar menu, and then you can close Adept, open the Konsole, and try again with the commands that I gave you. If you're in doubt about the sources, search on "source list" or "repositories" on this forum and/or Ubuntu Forum and there are about a zillion posts on the topic, so you should be able to get yourself up to speed on this important subject.

Comment

Excellent - now we're getting somewhere!

There's clearly a problem with your sources list (the list of enabled repositories). Open Adept Manager, click "Adept" and then "Repositories" and make sure that "universe" and "multiverse" are checked, in addition to whatever is already checked. I assume you've already removed your CD from the sources under "Third Party" tab -- if not do that and you can stop being annoyed by the demand to insert your CD.

When you think the sources are correct, click "Refresh" or "Fetch" or whatever it says there at the left end of the Adept top bar menu, and then you can close Adept, open the Konsole, and try again with the commands that I gave you. If you're in doubt about the sources, search on "source list" or "repositories" on this forum and/or Ubuntu Forum and there are about a zillion posts on the topic, so you should be able to get yourself up to speed on this important subject.
              It seems to need to be on-line for those updates to work, and that can't happen until the wireless networking card works unfortunately.
              I hadn't unchecked the CD from the third party tab, but it's never asked me for it at any point.
              I've (apparently) got the right drivers for the video and networking cards sitting right on the desktop, but have not been able to install them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Billzilla

It seems to need to be on-line for those updates to work, and that can't happen until the wireless networking card works unfortunately.
                Uh-boy .... yep, we kind of assume an Internet connection. No way to wire it into your router, even as a temporary hookup? That would make this a whole lot easier.

I hadn't unchecked the CD from the third party tab, but it's never asked me for it at any point.
                Hmmm -- probably directly related to the aforementioned non-functioning sources list. I take it that you made the installation CD with an ISO downloaded on a connected PC, then used it to install Kubuntu on this non-connected PC. Nothing wrong with that, except the lack of Internet connection prevents the installation process from setting up your source repositories, leaving that part of your system a little brain-dead. :P

OK, I'm not an expert on this type of installation, but I THINK you might want to look into the possibility of making an installation DVD, because it has the equivalent of most of the packages that are available in the Internet repositories. In other words, you need access to the packages that are used to get your wireless card working, and I dunno if they are even on the installation CD. The idea would be to set up the DVD as THE repository for you system, and then to install the appropriate driver package for your wireless. Let's see -- Marvell 88w8335. Have you searched the Ubuntu Forum to see what driver it needs? Once the driver is installed and you have wireless working, then you can change the repositories to the Internet repos.

A word of caution -- while wireless web surfing and e-mail and so forth should work fine (he says, not knowing about Marvell chips), you really don't want to do system maintenance and software installation via a wireless link unless it is really, really solid. In other words, dropouts during a system update are bad things, and cause trouble.

I hope this is at least marginally helpful!

EDIT: You're going to need this information:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...=netgear+wg311

and apparently this too:

http://endlessbeta.org/misc/wg311v3_ndis_amd64.tar.bz2

Comment

Originally posted by Billzilla

Uh-boy .... yep, we kind of assume an Internet connection. No way to wire it into your router, even as a temporary hookup? That would make this a whole lot easier.

Hmmm -- probably directly related to the aforementioned non-functioning sources list. I take it that you made the installation CD with an ISO downloaded on a connected PC, then used it to install Kubuntu on this non-connected PC. Nothing wrong with that, except the lack of Internet connection prevents the installation process from setting up your source repositories, leaving that part of your system a little brain-dead. :P

OK, I'm not an expert on this type of installation, but I THINK you might want to look into the possibility of making an installation DVD, because it has the equivalent of most of the packages that are available in the Internet repositories. In other words, you need access to the packages that are used to get your wireless card working, and I dunno if they are even on the installation CD. The idea would be to set up the DVD as THE repository for you system, and then to install the appropriate driver package for your wireless. Let's see -- Marvell 88w8335. Have you searched the Ubuntu Forum to see what driver it needs? Once the driver is installed and you have wireless working, then you can change the repositories to the Internet repos.

A word of caution -- while wireless web surfing and e-mail and so forth should work fine (he says, not knowing about Marvell chips), you really don't want to do system maintenance and software installation via a wireless link unless it is really, really solid. In other words, dropouts during a system update are bad things, and cause trouble.

I hope this is at least marginally helpful!

EDIT: You're going to need this information:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...=netgear+wg311

and apparently this too:

http://endlessbeta.org/misc/wg311v3_ndis_amd64.tar.bz2
                  Yeah that helps a little thanks.

I read this page - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...tgear_WG311_v3 - and carefully followed the instructions to the letter. It all worked as written up to this point ->
                  "Once ndiswrapper lists both the driver and the device, you need to insert the kernel module. Thus:
                  sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

Once that has run, check to see whether it worked:"

Nothing happens when I run that sudo command. And so iwconfig comes up with nothing.

I followed the links you provided and I then installed the 64bit drivers. No change.

And yes at the moment I'm using this WindowsXp laptop to download/surf/etc and then a USB stick to transfer the files.
                  That has been unreliable as well - I had to reboot the computer as the latest lot of new files I put on the USB stick simply would not show up on it.

Comment

Never mind - I've decided to not waste any more time with (K)Ubuntu.
                    I'll try Mepis next and if that is equally as bad then I will have to also give up on Linux again for the next couple of years.

Thanks anyway.

Comment

Understand. I run Mepis 7 64-bit also -- it's a very nice Linux distribution. The "not connected to Internet while installing" situation is going to produce similar results, I'm afraid. :P If you can find a way to get connected during the installation and the first update thereafter, I think you'll find much superior results.

However, good luck with it and your further adventures!

Comment

Understand. I run Mepis 7 64-bit also -- it's a very nice Linux distribution. The "not connected to Internet while installing" situation is going to produce similar results, I'm afraid. :P If you can find a way to get connected during the installation and the first update thereafter, I think you'll find much superior results.

However, good luck with it and your further adventures!
                        FWIW it's better immediately ....
                        Mepis in & running now.
                        2/3 problems solved without doing anything -
                        Sound now works, and the screen is running perfectly at 1920 x 1200 under the native Nvidia driver.

Now to get the wireless card working ...

Comment

Cool -- good luck with it! You're making me very glad I've "only" got a desktop and router, and no wireless lappy!

Comment

Working...
                          X