This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help me get my printer working!

I have a Cannon Pixima IP4000 and I am running Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper. Also, I am a TOTAL newb (sorry guys but you gotta start somewhere).

Anyway, this is what I have done so far:

I tried to install the IP4000 drivers that came on the machine via Kcontrol and get the error "Unable to create the Foomatic Driver [Cannon-iP4000.gutenprint]. Either that driver does not exist or you don't have required permissions to perform this operation". I made sure all the Foomatic stuff was installed via adept and still same issue.

I installed a pixus iP4100 (I guess japanese equivelant to IP4000) using instructions I got on some different forums while searching for solutions. The drivers installed, The printer seemed to install, but every time I print something the job shows a processing status and that's it. Test page won't print either.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled cups, Rebooted, tried several solutions I've read about on these and other forums to no avail. Can someone help me out w/ this? Where should I go from here?

Re: Please help me get my printer working!

kablizzo, good for you have you have searched and made a few attempts on your own. You did not tell us how this printer is connected. Is it USB? Network? Samba share?

If it is USB, run the command

lsusb

and see if you can see your printer. If not, unplug it, count to 10, then plug it back in and run the following commands

lsusb and if it doesn't show up then
    dmesg|tail and see if there are any messages reference your printer.

If so, copy and past the messages.

Comment

Oh yea, I guess how it's connected can be important. It's connected via Parallel Port LPT1.

Also, Something else funny I noticed. When installing (or trying to install) drivers via Kcontrol it gets to the step where you select how your printer is connected. Well there's an LPT1 listed (which is what I selected) and down below there's an "Other" section listing an Epson printer on LPT1 and a Cannon printer on LPT1. What's up with that? There must be some config file I haven't learned about yet that has that stuff listed.

I'll keep dicking around with it tomorrow. I am too frustrated to continue today. I guess I can try connecting it via USB and try the solution mentioned above but it sure would be nice to get it working on the paralell port.

Comment

Also, CUPS web interface states --Cannon (Default Printer) "Unable to open parallel port device file "": No such file or directory--.

Comment

Working...
        X