This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved]Adept Installer

After my first installation,while I was doing my initial 129 updates, the adept installer gave me the error message "unable to commit changes". Each time that I try to install other items from the ad/remove programs menu, I get the same message. Some of the new features are installed but I still get the same message. It appears that some core updates are causing this but I'm not sure. Additionally when the error dialog appears, I get the option to try and rectify the problem. When I click yes to attempt this, I get a crash message. I have not sent the bug report primarily because I'm not sure who to send a bug report to. Thanks in advance for any advice that anyone can offer.

Re: Adept Installer

This seems to be a common, albeit benign problem in gusty installs. The solution:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089642.0

Comment

I tried that command and it didn't help. Will I get a response if I type the command correctly? I'm thinking that maybe I put in too many spaces.

Comment

If this is a 'fresh' intall, then you need to ensure that you have the repositories enabled, and that you have the cdrom repository disabled/deleted.

Open Adept Manager (K Menu | System | Adept Manger) and click on Adept | Manage Repositories. On the first tab, check all items (you don't need the last item checked unless you intend to download source files for compiling). On the Third-Party Software tab uncheck/delete the cdrom repository entry. Close the window. If Adept doesn't automatically fetch updates, click on Fetch Updates. You will now have access to the thousands of available packages.

Then, open a console and type:
        Code:
        sudo dpkg --configure -a
        should fix it, else continue with
        Code:
        sudo apt-get clean
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

try
          Code:
          sudo aptitude
          It's a package manager in text mode, but not commandline. If there's something broken, it should see the uncommited changes - press 'g' once to see if there are any changes - if there are (a package propably needs to be configured) it will show up in a list - press 'g' again to commit - it will start some text output - paste it here so we can see what the problem is.

Alternatively, you can also simply post the last, say, 20 - 50 lines of /var/log/dpkg.log - Any error should be recorded there.
          Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Comment

h handler]
            #6 0xffffe410 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
            #7 0xb665a875 in raise () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
            #8 0xb665c201 in abort () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
            #9 0xb68666e0 in __gnu_cxx::__verbose_terminate_handler ()
            from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
            #10 0xb6863f65 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
            #11 0xb6863fa2 in std::terminate () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
            #12 0xb68640ca in __cxa_throw () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
            #13 0x0812b916 in ?? ()
            #14 0x0812be8a in ?? ()
            #15 0x0812bee8 in ?? ()
            #16 0x0812c735 in ?? ()
            #17 0x0812a22d in ?? ()
            #18 0x08114379 in ?? ()
            #19 0x080951ed in ?? ()
            #20 0x0807378d in ?? ()
            #21 0x0807408e in ?? ()
            #22 0xb6eaa893 in QObject::activate_signal () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
            #23 0xb72368ec in QSignal::signal () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
            #24 0xb6eca842 in QSignal::activate () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
            #25 0xb6ed2258 in QSingleShotTimer::event () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
            #26 0xb6e41af0 in QApplication::internalNotify () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
            #27 0xb6e4391f in QApplication::notify () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
            #28 0xb7607ca2 in KApplication::notify () from /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.4
            #29 0xb6dd4209 in QApplication::sendEvent () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
            #30 0xb6e3453b in QEventLoop::activateTimers () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
            #31 0xb6de8d49 in QEventLoop:rocessEvents () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
            #32 0xb6e5c1ce in QEventLoop::enterLoop () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
            #33 0xb6e5bfde in QEventLoop::exec () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
            #34 0xb6e43699 in QApplication::exec () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
            #35 0x0806f75e in ?? ()
            #36 0xb6646050 in __libc_start_main () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
            #37 0x0806f401 in ?? ()

Comment

Sorry guys, I was trying to enter the command in the run dialog not a Konsole. I did it right now and I'll let you know how it worked.

Comment

Thanks a million guys. Everything works fine now. How do I mark this as solved?

Comment

Originally posted by blackjack72

How do I mark this as solved?
                  Go to your original post (first on the thread), click the "Modify" button, then enter "SOLVED" in front of the title.

Comment

Working...
                  X