This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JAVA

Hi everyone, I've only had linux for about a week now, so I'm not real solid in it, but i really like it. I have been trying since i got it to get java working. First thing i did was look in synaptic and try and let it install it all for me. Everything seemed like it worked alright, i accepted the user agreement, it said install was successful, yada yada. However, java still did not work. So i uninstalled that package and went to java.com to see if maybe there was some other version causing conflicts. Apparently, 1.4.2 was already installed. Lacking in linux knowledge, i then tried to uninstall it by deleting all files that said java in the /etc folder. This only resulted in more problems. So what i need to know is how to completely get rid of the partial 1.4.2 which is still on there somewhere b/c java.com still says i have 1.4.2, and then what to do AFTER i install the jre6 file in synaptic. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have kubuntu 7.10 i386

Re: JAVA

Hmm. That 1.4.2 isn't exactly java, it's GNU Classpath (I think).
    Anyway, now that you borked the installations, try to purge (not just delete) both sun-java and gcj packages (and any related, especially the sun-java6-plugin since you're obviously aiming to get Sun's java working in Firefox). Try that - if it fails, you could repair it manually with dpkg tools, but depending on how much you customized your system already, it might be easier to reinstall then.

If it works however, post back and we'll figure it out
    Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Comment

First, enable the multiverse repository in your /etc/apt/sources.list. See these two pages:

* https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Kubuntu
      * https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories

Then open Adept and install "sun-java6-plugin" or with the command line:

Code:
      sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin
      If you wish to install all goodies (MP3, Flash, Java, ...):

Code:
      sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras

Comment

Patrick: I did what you said, and everything installed fine (or so i thought), yet still no java working. I rechecked java.com and it still says i have 1.4.2 and need to update.

Myxal: Im sorry but i dont know how to purge. I did "sudo dpkg --purge sun-java6-bin" but it tells me:

dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of sun-java6-bin:
        sun-java6-jre depends on sun-java6-bin (= 6-03-0ubuntu2) | ia32-sun-java6-bin (= 6-03-0ubuntu2); however:
        Package sun-java6-bin is to be removed.
        Package ia32-sun-java6-bin is not installed.
        dpkg: error processing sun-java6-bin (--purge):
        dependency problems - not removing
        Errors were encountered while processing:
        sun-java6-bin

It certainly sounds like the thing to do.

note: when trying to uninstall java through synaptic this is the response i get:
        E: sun-java6-bin: subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 2

Comment

purge, I think, is available in both Synaptic and adept - in Adept manager (not Add/remove), find the packages. Right click and select "request purging". Should be the same for synaptic (isn't it called "complete removal" there?).
          However, since the uninstall script throws an error, there's a chance the aforementioned won't work. In that case, try
          Code:
          sudo dpkg-reconfigure ...
          followed by the names of the packages.

If even THAT doesn't work, you may start looking at system reinstall. I'm pretty sure though, you can forcibly (re)install java (ignoring the 'installed' status of the package) using the dpkg commandline tool. With that, however, it's up to you and the manpage. The qustion is, which is easier for you - reinstalling the system from scratch or learning dpkg...
          Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Comment

this pops out when i try that:

Options marked[*] produce a lot of output - pipe it through `less' or `more' !
            root@dustin-desktop:/home/dustin# sudo dpkg -reconfigure sun-java6-bin
            dpkg: conflicting actions -e (--control) and -r (--remove)

Type dpkg --help for help about installing and deinstalling packages[*];
            Use `dselect' or `aptitude' for user-friendly package management;
            Type dpkg -Dhelp for a list of dpkg debug flag values;
            Type dpkg --force-help for a list of forcing options;
            Type dpkg-deb --help for help about manipulating *.deb files;
            Type dpkg --license for copyright license and lack of warranty (GNU GPL)[*].

Options marked[*] produce a lot of output - pipe it through `less' or `more' !

Comment

umm, did you paste that into the terminal? What you did is run dpkg with and argument -reconfigure. There is however a different executable called dpkg-reconfigure. Run that.

Comment

hey, its cool, i took your original advice and reinstalled (i had a bunch of junk and other things i had already messed up anyway). So, i installed java 6, i can bring up the sun java 6 web start app, but when i try and do anything with java it doesnt recognize it. So then i went and downloaded the java6 plugin and the gapplet viewer. Also, i know i am getting closer b/c it shows a few resources in the cache now. But still nothing is REALLY working.

Comment

Wow! I found a real easy fix to my problem. I now use konqueror. All i had to do was go to configure konqueror, and go to the java tab to show it where the app was installed. I recommend konqueror over firefox to anyone out there. Now if i can just get flash to work ...

Comment

For Flash and Konqueror, see Re: flash on Konqueror
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                    X