This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running Firefox in Wine

Is it possible to install Firefox in and run it in Wine? I use a conferencing system and I log into it via the web and it downloads a java applet and opens up the chat room. That applet does not run in Linux so I am wondering if I could get all of it to run in Wine. I have never used Wine and I am not sure how it works. Or might there be a better program than Wine that may do this. If I can make this happen I will no longer have a need for Windows.

Re: Running Firefox in Wine

Originally posted by heylookitsmewow
    That applet does not run in Linux ...
    A Java applet that won't run in Linux?! That is inherently contradictory to the basic 'cross-platform' nature of Java. What is more likely, is that the version of Java the applet is programmed in (and expects on you system), isn't what you have installed.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Originally posted by heylookitsmewow
      That applet does not run in Linux ...
      A Java applet that won't run in Linux?! That is inherently contradictory to the basic 'cross-platform' nature of Java. What is more likely, is that the version of Java the applet is programmed in (and expects on you system), isn't what you have installed.
      I don't know about all that but the conferencing system says they do not support Linux. The applet will download and then I get a message that I have an unsupported OS and it all shuts down.

Comment

Hmmm. Sounds like the applet isn't following the Sun Java standard, meaning in all likelyhood, that it's a Windoze version of Java. Windoze didn't want to 'play nice' with Sun, so they wrote there own proprietary version of Java. :P
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That's kind of weird - do you have sun's java installed - and more importantly, is it used by firefox?
          To see whether you even have java, type
          Code:
          java -version
          in terminal and see what you get.
          Then, to check firefox, type
          Code:
          about:plugins
          in the address bar and see what you get.
          If this fails, than the web server is obviously arbitrarily blocking Linux - I would definitely complain - just to let them know there are Linux users.
          In the meantime, YES, Windows version of Firefox will run on wine - don't know about the Java plugin, though...

Edit: check the java in firefox - I highly doubt that (IF it worked in Firefox + Sun java on windows) that it wouldn't work on Firefox + Sun Java on Linux. Unlike Adobe flash, Java is pretty much of equal quality across platforms.
          Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Comment

Just a thought - if the server is arbitrarily blocking Linux, you COULD fool it by changing the so-called browser ID - it's pretty trivial in Konqueror/Opera, not so sure about Firefox - I think there's an addon for that Will check and post if I find it.

Edit: Ah, here it is!
            Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Comment

Tools > User Agent Switcher? I believe there is a plug-in that will fake the OS as well. I have not had much luck with getting win only stuff to work that way. When I have to play windows, I am using virtualbox and win2k or xph.

Comment

Just to answer the original question. Yes, Firefox does run under wine but in my experience it is slow. Apart from the speed issue the only problem I can foresee would be getting a win32 version of Java to work along with it.

As for the User Agent Switcher, I wonder if Java actually gets it's platform information from the browser or from the OS?

In any case, I think it's a matter of trial and error!

Comment

I do have sun java and it looks like the conferencing system made some changes since I last tried, now the applet downloads and the room actually opens and a box comes up and says "connecting to server" then "logging in...". Then it repeats both of those 5 times and then says "connection failed". I have tried changing the browser ID but the room opens in a new window that I think is independent from the browser so it probably doesn't matter what the browser is. If there really is a way to fake the OS maybe that would work. I am thinking they may be blocking it because their sync browsing uses IE or Safari. But I don't care about sync browsing I just want to be able to get in and hear the audio.

Comment

Originally posted by lingenfr
                    Tools > User Agent Switcher? I believe there is a plug-in that will fake the OS as well. I have not had much luck with getting win only stuff to work that way. When I have to play windows, I am using virtualbox and win2k or xph.
                    I am looking into virtualbox and vmware. If I can install win 2k and run it without having to reboot to windows that may be a solution for now.

Comment

Working...
                    X