This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple Question

I just installed Kubuntu and I don't know how to use Linux at all. I downloaded Firefox but I have no idea how to install it. I've done some looking on the internet and I think I have to use the console. One of my problems is that I think some commands need to be entered at the same time, on two lines, but I don't know how to go to the next line without submitting the first line.

My other question is whether or not there is a way to install iTunes or similar software to work with my iPod in Kubuntu. I would prefer to stay with the actual software. I realize that this might not be possible because Kubuntu is a totally different OS.

Re: Simple Question

Funny how newcomers always do the same thing :-)
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...9567#msg109567

Itunes - you MAY try the windows version and try it in wine (past results here)- but since you're a newcomer, I HIGHLY recommend leaving that for AFTER you're comfortable with Linux. In the meantime, try something 'native', such as amarok or songbird - I don't have a music player, let alone iPod, so I wouldn't know what works best with it. I hear RhythmBox is pretty good too.
    Migration status:<br />[DONE]Get GeForce2 MX200 working with 96xx drivers, get automount external ntfs volumes, fix resume from suspend<br />[pending]:find good BSPlayer replacement<br />If you know how to fix any of the pending problems, PM!

Comment

BAck to the original question, about installing soiftware.

There are 2 super easy ways to do this in Kubuntu. One is the 'Add Remove Programs'application in the main menu. It has a lot of the main applications and other things listed there. Another is to use Adept package manager, which will show everything available, with more search filters as there are tons of things to install. So you can install firefox using that tool, and it will also install any missing things it needs as well as creating menu icons, etc.

In linux (for the most part) instead of searching all over the web for applications, we generally have everything in groups of servers called repositories, and these contain all the things you need, all in one place. These packages are built specifically for Ubuntu/Kubuntu

A quick how-to can be found here
      more info can be found here and here

Comment

Amarok, the default music player in kubuntu will work with your ipod and thus provides a very good replacement for itunes (it won't work with the itunes music store though, or tracks that purchased from there that use apples drm).

Comment

Working...
        X