Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the sun java plugin - how to install it ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the sun java plugin - how to install it ?

hi, linuxers!
    I am using the kubuntu 7.10 but I don't know if it's already included the sun java plugin. how do I get it by downloading and installing? I use this command by using the terminal like this "sudo apt-get install sun-java5-bin" ? may I set up the sun java plugin with the mozilla firefox? Is that possible too? thanks for your hints and helpful instructions.

Re: the sun java plugin - how to install it ?

Code:
    sudo apt-get install sun-java5-plugin
    I think you may be better off installing sun-java6-bin and the sun-java6-plugin from the repository though

Comment

Yeah, as I recall, there's been some questions about that one (sun java 6), and in the past I've done it as slush1000 suggested.
      I believe it is also in:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras.

This is the package that also lets you play Windows media movie files in Kaffeine. I see sun java stuff come through during that install. If you try that, at some point the screen will stop with a sun-java "acceptance" screen staring at you. Press Tab key, then Do you Agree?, arrow to Yes, press Enter, and the script-installer continues normally and without problems. In fact, I just checked, and Adept Package Manger says sun-java6-bin is installed, and the jre and the plug in are installed, so that's is how I got it (through kubuntu-restricted-extras).

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I am busy trying to get java running in the konqueror browser, I get this error though

The following NEW packages will be installed
        kubuntu-restricted-extras libavcodec1d libavutil1d libdvdread3 libgsm1
        libk3b2-mp3 liblame0 libmad0 libpostproc1d libtunepimp5-mp3 libxine1-ffmpeg
        sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre unrar
        0 upgraded, 14 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
        4 not fully installed or removed.
        E: Could not get lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
        E: Unable to lock the download directory
        How do i continue, thanks

Comment

Close Adept, open Konsole, and enter

Code:
          sudo dpkg --configure -a
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install
          Then you should be able to open Adept Manager and install your package, assuming it's in the repos.

Comment

thanks for the fast reply, it hasnt worked, the commands you gave went without error but I tried

Code:
            sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras
            in the terminal and got the same error

I then tried it within adept manager and it failed but says its installed?

Comment

If it is installed, you should be able to play wmv's in Kaffeine.
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I am trying to view a java applet on a web page, the applet runs a virtual tour, I have firefox but the 64 bit version so was wanting to view the page with konqueror.

just rebooted and tried the page the applet doesn't run, I have a windoze pc next to my linux machine and it runs in IE fine

Am I going in the right direction?

Comment

Originally posted by doosjuice

but the 64 bit version so was wanting to view the page with konqueror.
                  OK, now here's a problem -- Java Runtime Environment (JRE) for 64-bit Linux is, errrrrr, not well implemented. I haven't made a recent examination of the issue -- I suggest a search on Ubuntu Forum to see where it stands, and whether there is a "workaround" or coping mechanism. :P

Comment

tried a few things, as usual, nothing helped. I ditched the 64bit and loaded 32bit 7.10 so far many things have gone either faster OR easier, for example, in 64bit when I clicked the wine icon in advanced (of system settings) it said it wasnt installed and would I like to install, yes please, nada, 2 errors. 32bit, it installed straight away.

IF you want to do everything on the web that you can do in windoze, after much reading, its better to run the 32 bit kubuntu 7.10

Comment

Working...
                    X