X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Alacarte for KDE?

Hi

I just switched from GNOME to KDE 3.5.x. GNOME isn't that bad, but I had to deal with too many compromises (Nautilus, top menu, speed, etc.) although it looks generally very good (it's less complicated to use than KDE, but has less options, even for advanced users) and is stable. One thing I miss in KDE is the outstanding menu-tool from GNOME. Is there something similar in KDE?

I haven't took a look into KDE 4, but I really hope it works more straight forward and hides more options from the user (accessible with an "Advanced-Button") and has polished the way it presents data (like the updater from GNOME).

Re: Alacarte for KDE?

Not a Gnome user, so ...

What would you like to be able to do, say, with the K Menu??
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Wow, that was fast!

Well, pardon me if I'm telling something wrong, but it seems to me, that if I would like to delete an entry from the menue, this entry is indeed deleted, while in GNOME you just deactivate it from the menue (on/off). Further you have the chance to scan your system and it will show you the entries which aren't shown in the menu (because you didn't just disable the entry but deleted it). It's a pretty neat thing. I know "kappfinder" but that it's not the same...

Comment

You can 'hide' K Menu entries. I'll assume you know how to access the Edit function for the menu. Any K Menu entry can be 'hidden' by putting a period ( . ) in front of the menu item description. It's still there, but it isn't displayed on the K Menu.

See Hiding K Menu entries

Comment

Hmmm...thanks! Didn't know that (how should I). Well, too late now, the entries are gone. I really wish I had the GNOME thing under KDE

Anyhow, why not just integrate a "hide from the menu"-box instead this "add a period in front of the app-description"-feature?

Comment

I really don't believe that this ability is actually a 'feature.' It happens to be a cluge (work around) that happens to work. I could be wrong on this, but I don't believe that this is documented, making me think it isn't an intended feature.

Comment

I know

I was a little bit sarcastic...meaning instead of this workaround, just put a nifty obvious and self-explaining box that covers the users need

I guess the KDE-team is now focussing on KDE4 anyway, so I can live with this workaround...

Thanks for the ultra-fast response!

Comment

You're 'ultra-fast' welcome!

Comment

Working...
                X