This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trouble with wireless

I've been using Linux (Debian) for a few years, but am still very much a novice. I recently switched to Kubuntu with the hope of being able to go wireless on Linux with little work in configuration. I really don't know much about working with files in terminal, and am hesitant to start manipulating files. I was hoping that Kubuntu would identify my wireless card/system and do it for me. I have installed the package ndiswrapper through the package manager of Kubuntu.....but am not sure if I need to do more.
    I have a Linksys Wireless G router, and a Buffalo wireless pci card for my desktop - unfortunately it has the broadcom chipset 43xx

Is there anything I can do to get my system up and running wireless without having to learn computer programming?

I even download the instructions for installing ndiswrapper manually..... but after about 2 paragraphs I was lost in the technical jargon.

Re: trouble with wireless

There has been extensive discussion here about wireless issues. I've devoted many hours and a lot of energy to getting wireless file sharing working. So far, nothing works. Wireless file sharing is the only thing I cannot get working in Linux, and I would say it is one of the two or three main holdups in getting more people to adopt Linux over Windows.

I'm posting here to emphasize again the need for Linux experts to solve this issue! Anyone who finally simplifies wireless issues will be a Linux hero!

In the meantime, perquisitor, if you find a solution, please share it here!

Thanks,
    Matt

Comment

I have used the howto at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ireless+feisty
      a few times for my laptop (Kubuntu), with success, up to and including Problem 1.
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I Don't have a Broadcom router, so I guess this won't help me.

I'm having separate discussions about sound cards and printers and which manufacturers play well with Linux. Maybe the same theory applies to wireless routes? Maybe there are certain brands that work well? If so, can anyone suggest one that "just works"?

Thanks,
        Matt

Comment

@MatthewSchenker

I don't have a Broadcom router either, but I have a BT PCMIA card that has a Broadcom chip inside it.

So what kind of Router/Card/Computer do you have? Make and Model...

To find out what wireless card you have, if you don't know, open Konsole (Terminal Program) and input:
          lspci -v | less
          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
            So what kind of Router/Card/Computer do you have? Make and Model...

To find out what wireless card you have, if you don't know, open Konsole (Terminal Program) and input:
            lspci -v | less
            I have a D-Link DI-524 hooked up to my desktop. I can get Internet access from my laptop, but cannot share files.
            My laptop has an Intel Pro-Wireless 2200 internal card.
            Thanks,
            Matt

Comment

If you are attached to your router (which you are, since you have internet), then it is not a wireless issue, it has to be a configuration issue. What type of file sharing are you trying to do, attach to a server (windows server, linux, etc), or something else?
              mm0
              Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Originally posted by muzicman0
                If you are attached to your router (which you are, since you have internet), then it is not a wireless issue, it has to be a configuration issue. What type of file sharing are you trying to do, attach to a server (windows server, linux, etc), or something else?
                mm0
                I only use Kubuntu (no Windows machines in my house any more). So I am trying to connect Linux to Linux.

Comment

Linux Wireless Networking
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have a windows server, so I've never tried to connect to a linux share...I wish I could help more...
                    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                      Snowhog,
                      Thanks for trying to help. Yes, I've seen those instructions. But I'm with perquisitor on this -- I get about three lines into those instructions and I am completely lost. And I consider myself to be pretty quick on my feet when it comes to computer technicalities.

Anyway, I've tried to follow all those steps, as well as several other instructions for getting wireless working. Maybe the answer is in there somewhere and I'm just not getting it. But you know what, if it's that difficult to get wireless working then something is not quite right.

I've done a lot of reading on Linux over the past couple of months, and when you think of the things that hold the average computer user back from switching to Linux, wireless issues appear to rank in the top three. We need Linux experts to make the process easier! They'll be heroes to semi-techies like me, and they will open the door to a rush of new Linux users.

Until then, I suppose I'll just get used to not having a wireless network and enjoy the numerous other benefits of Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X