This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install stops at step 4 patitioning disk

I am new to linux and manged to install ubuntu 7.10 without problems on an old sony vaio laptop with 192mb memory and 12gb HDD. I recently download Kubuntu Gutsy which works in live cd mode but when I try to install this on my vaio the installation tops at step 4, partition the disk. I have tried to install using all the disk which fails and also using part of the disk, which also fails.

I use the follow steps when booting up Kubuntu from dvd.

I boot up my vaio with the dvd I select the option of Live/Install. When this is running in live mode there is an icon on the desktop for install which I select.

The installation process goes through steps 1 to 3 without problems then stop soon after starting step 4. There are no messages, the screen is just frozen.

Anyone have any ideas to help me out?

Re: Install stops at step 4 patitioning disk

You may want to boot to safe graphics mode, or even try the Alternate CD.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Sounds like you've already tried it more than once, which would be my first idea: Try again.

How about trying this: Do the partitioning as a separate step, outside the installer?
      Get GParted Live CD and use it to partition/format.
      If you do so, the Kubutu installer will still want to format the root (/) partition and swap, but that's ok.
      So in GParted, make a partition for swap (1 GB) and for root (/) (5-10 GB), and if you wish, a separate partition for your personal data (/home = 10-to-50GB?).

GParted: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
      GParted how-to: http://www.howtoforge.com/partitioning_with_gparted
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Wondering if this is related to the Xubuntu fault that used to die on the partitioning part of an install due to trying to mount the newly formated partition.
        Check that automount is off
        Using:<br />Mint Kubuntu 7.10 (kde4 dual core 2.2ghz 4gb)<br />Freenas (nx6325 hp laptop)<br />Mint Gnome 7.10 (EEE Pc 4g white 1 gb ram)

Comment

IIRC this happened to me too. There was an OEM install option. With this the partitioner worked
          Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

I always use the GParted Live CD, as Qqmike has suggested, to do the partitioning, and then use the Alternate Install CD to do the *buntu installation, so I can choose the correct partitions for mount points.

It is also possible that a defect on that CD could be stopping the process at that point.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help. I will try some or all of your suggestions.

Comment

Working...
              X