This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with sound drivers

I installed the latest version of Kubuntu (7.10) on a Compaq Presario 5151 desktop. I'm trying to get the sound to work. Can't even find what audio adapter it has built in. I'm fairly new to linux PLEASE HELP!

Re: Help with sound drivers

Follow this guidance, and you should end up with sound:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      Follow this guidance, and you should end up with sound:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

I followed this link, but can anyone tell me the name of onboard soundcard in my computer (Compaq Presario 5151). I can't seem to find it anywhere, and it looks like I will need it to complete these steps. Thanks in advance!

Comment

Open the console and issue the
        Code:
        lspci
        command. Your sound chip should appear in the output list.

Comment

thanks for all your help. i'll try that tomorrow.

Comment

I've been trying to get sound working on my system as well.

I get this line when I run the "lspci" command from Konsole:
            Code:
            02:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 10)
            When I run the "aplay -l" command in Konsole, this is what I get:
            Code:
            matthew@Main:~$ aplay -l
            **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
            card 0: CMI8738MC6 [C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6], device 0: CMI8738-MC6 [C-Media PCI DAC/ADC]
             Subdevices: 1/1
             Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
            card 0: CMI8738MC6 [C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6], device 1: CMI8738-MC6 [C-Media PCI 2nd DAC]
            card 0: CMI8738MC6 [C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6], device 2: CMI8738-MC6 [C-Media PCI IEC958]
            matthew@Main:~$
            I went to http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/, but I don't see my sound card listed there. Should I just buy a new sound card?

Thanks,
            Matt

Comment

Your CMI8738 chip is indeed listed in the ALSA project device listing -- check this:

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/ind...:Module-cmipci

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like "falling off a log" easy to get it working. Try opening the Konsole and entering
              Code:
              sudo modinfo soundcore
              if it says you have the module, then it appears you need to install all the alsa packages, and make some edits in /etc/modules.conf and add a .asoundrc file in your /home/user directory.

You don't need to pay attention to the generic "how to install alsa" on that page -- that's for Linux users who don't have the nice package management system that *buntu has. Just use Adept to get your alsa packages.

Comment

dibl,
                Hmmm, maybe I'd rather just buy a new sound card! This one's not that great anyway (not worth the time).
                Can you suggest a sound card that works more easily?
                Thanks,
                Matt

Comment

I'm kind of cowardly, so I bought an expensive Intel motherboard that has their HDA sound system integrated on it, because I knew I wanted to do some recording and audio processing, and I didn't want to have to fight a sound card on top of learning Linux.

I'd say study the audio-related postings on Ubuntu Forum and see what cards are the source of most problems. That, in conjunction with the information on alsa-project.org regarding the vendors that they support, should let you zero in on a model or two that are pretty trouble free.

Comment

My laptop has the Intel integrated Sound. My Desktops have SoundBlaster Live. All work very well. No issues.

Here is a link to when I did have problems, but was resolved.
                    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081547.0

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                      Here is a link to when I did have problems, but was resolved.
                      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081547.0
                      No to be dense, but in that previous discussion there are lots of references to an "it" that solved the problem. Can you enlighten me on what the "it" is?

I've opened Kmix and Alsamixer, and the graphical elements make no sense to me. I can't tell when something is on or off in there.

Thanks,
                      Matt

Comment

In Kmix, if you go to Switches Tab, there will be, on some model Sound Cards, an Analog/Digital Output Jack Switch. You'll know it is on because there will be a pseudo-LED just above the column text that appears lit. Clicking on the LED is basically turning that switch on or off. You'll know either state as it will appear to lite.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                          In Kmix, if you go to Switches Tab, there will be, on some model Sound Cards, an Analog/Digital Output Jack Switch. You'll know it is on because there will be a pseudo-LED just above the column text that appears lit. Clicking on the LED is basically turning that switch on or off. You'll know either state as it will appear to lite.
                          When I run Kmix, I have neither of those options in the Switches tab. However, it does display the name of my sound card correctly in the lower right-hand corner of the Kmix window.

When I run the Alsamixer GUI, the buttons and "lights" are absolutely, totally incomprehensible!

Maybe I should run out to my local CompUSA (while they still have some stock left) and buy a better sound card?

Matt

Comment

Working...
                          X