This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with startup?

Ok i know this might be stupid to post but i'll still try to get help anyways.

Ok well Im having a problem trying to just boot up kubuntu on my HP Pavilion dv2000 laptop. The thing is once I hit enter on "run or install kubuntu" it goes through all the checking with the hardware and all... then in one part (i believe the last part) sometype of error comes up.

Not sure what exactly it is since im not that good with linux. i guess ill try writing it down then posting the error. but maybe i wont need to and someone will post something to help.

to sum this up... once i get "run or install kubuntu" it goes through everything but then on the command prompt stuff it give an error and then eventually it goes to a black screen.

edit: Here we go heres the errors im getting after it says "Please wait loading linux.." (i believe thats what it says) anyways..

[105.380000] bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode5.fw" not available or load failed."

then like the same error comes up but with different numbers... like

[128.604000]
    [151.828000]
    [175.048000]
    [198.268000]
    [221.488000]
    [344.708000]

edit: i also did even more research and found out my laptop does work with linux according to this website here: http://www.diit.unict.it/users/dpatt.../bipingus.html

Re: Problem with startup?

This may (or may not) help:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      haha i think this will help to. ill try it ASAP...and report back!

edit: yeah i try this several times. im pretty damn sure i did it right all the times to.

and it didnt work.

Comment

bump?

Comment

Does it go to a completely black screen, or a black screen with writing on it?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bcm..._microcode5.fw <-- You are not alone!

Try reading some of those links - it seems a solution is to use a utility that grabs the microcode for your wireless card itself; though your ability to do this rather depends on your answer to my first question!

Comment

yeah this seems like its gonna be super hard.

do i have to find the drivers then put them on a .iso then burn the .iso?

edit: can someone help me find like a SUPER NEWBIE tutorial for this?? Im a pretty good computer user when it comes to this. But this is still pretty hard... I been reading up for awhile and im still not sure what to do.

Comment

Which version of Kubuntu are trying to install? If Gutsy, you might want to jump right to Hardy instead. The upgrade may fix your problem.

Another option is to install from the alternate cd, not the desktop one. This has worked for me in the past when I had problems installing with the desktop CD.

Comment

Sorry for being such a newbie because im sure ill be piss to telling a newbie everything.

But when I went to the download page there is no "Hardy" release.

and I didnt see any alternate version?

edit: i found the alternate version and im downloading it right now. Ill burn it and see if it works.

edit: i also found the hardy heron verison. im downloading that also right now. the alternate verison of it just incase...

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/re...hardy/alpha-4/

I think thats the latest one..

I need to go to work in a bit but ill let them download so when i get back home ill try them.

Comment

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/re...hardy/alpha-4/

Comment

what would you recommand trying first the alpha or the alternate cd of 7.10? i just been wasting cds latently because of this #&%$ ... so im just curious.

edit: also what if it does work with the alpha can i just update it always through the alpha version to the upcoming verisons?

Comment

Originally posted by Progz
                      what would you recommand trying first the alpha or the alternate cd of 7.10? i just been wasting cds latently because of this #&%$ ... so im just curious.
                      Yep -- the HH Alpha 4 -- it is remarkably stable on my rig, and others report the same. But please don't put critical data at risk on it -- at least not without frequent backup.

edit: also what if it does work with the alpha can i just update it always through the alpha version to the upcoming verisons?
                      Yep, just keep updating until April and it will be 8.04 the same as the official released version.

Comment

Try the 7.10 alternate first, if it works you can upgrade.

Comment

alright thanks guys. im downloading both right now. so ill deff. report back to see if they work. hopefully they do...im seriously hopeing.

edit: well guys i install it the 7.10 alternate first...and well im just sitting here on the black screen again with that error showing up...

im able to login in but its all text?

edit: wow i had to type "startx" in the window and now it works. but do i need to do this always?

i hate the fact that i always have to type "startx" at that black screen.

edit: nevermine I think i got it down...im going to my house in a couple mins. i think im fine now.

thanks guys.

edit: now since i have a broadcom wifi network card im having problems with that.

if you guys could help me out heres the post i made about it: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091424.0

Comment

Working...
                          X