This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changing incorect website login

For some reason kubuntu has recorded an incorrect login at a particular website even though I correct it each time and check a box to remember. Is there any way to go to a file and correct it, or by some other means? Thanks.

Re: changing incorect website login

What web browser are you using (Firefox, Konqueror, etc.)?
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Firefox.

Comment

Click the "Edit" button from the menu bar and choose "Preferences"; then, click the "Security" tab, followed by "Show Passwords...". Just delete the incorrect entry and you should be good to go
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Tried that. Unfortunately the site url (a bank) does not appear in the list, so I think it is a kubuntu thing.

Comment

I'll do a little more research, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with Kubuntu. If its not in the list of passwords, the config must be contained elsewhere in your profile. Do you use any extensions that autofill information?
            Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Not that I know of. Is there any utility that will search all text files in the partition for a sequence of characters?

Comment

In any browser - locate/delete 'cookies'
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks Snowhog, I wasn't thinking about that; if you press Ctrl+Shift+Delete, Firefox will pop-up a window asking you how much of your personal data you would like to delete. Make sure the "Cookies" tab is checked, and click OK.

Edit: Alternately, you can click "Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy tab -> "Settings..." (under Private Data)" and tell it what exactly you want to delete, including saved passwords. If you check everything, and clean your personal data, although you will probably have to re-enter all your previously saved usernames/passwords, I have a feeling your problem will be fixed If not, we can try something else.
                  Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Just a bit of advice:
                    Even though Linux (unix) is largely immune to virus / malware attacks it is not by default immune to phishing attacks over the web (email, browser attacks) so please don't keep your sensitive keywords (bank accounts, etc) on your machine.
                    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Following yr advice I deleted the cookie of the bank in question. I then tried logging in to the site (incidentally it was only the login id, not the password that was being filled in incorrectly-the password has always been blank allowing me to type it in on login). The login space was blank since, I suppose, the cookie had been deleted. I checked a box requesting a save of login data then got out of site. On logging back in to site, the same old and incorrect login appeared automagically. This is very confusing and shows me I know zero about automatic login and password handling in both FF and kubuntu. Hope this helps you to tell what the problem is.

Comment

Working...
                      X