Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with second account, password & admin problems...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with second account, password & admin problems...

hello all,

I switched a couple of weeks ago to Kubuntu 7.10 and i like it so far, i created a second account on the computer for my girlfriend because i wanted her to learn some decent computing and not the fisher-price that is Windows . All was going well till i wanted to change some stuff for her like mounting some Samba shares on my other Linux-computer (i use it to experiment all kinds of stuff)

This is where things started to go wrong, I wanted to change password for her (make logging in a bit easier for her) i typed a bunch of wrong passwords (QWERTY keyb and AZERTY keyb screw up) and i think i broke the password thingy in Linux

Sudo isn't working anymore for the second account (this account belongs to my group), kdesudo isn't working (he always asks for password, when i give the password he does nothing). If i want to go to 'Administrator mode' in system settings the it asks for the password 1 time (i type the correct one) but nothing happens. I won't go into administrator mode.

For my account everything is working as it should so no problems for me

I tried resetting the password for girlfriend account via Recovery mode at boot. No go.
    I tried deleting the complete girlfriend account and adding it again. No go.

im out of ideas atm... can anybody help me. Im such a noob at this linux stuff

apologies it this is asked allready, i searched here and @ ubuntu but found nothing...

Re: Problem with second account, password & admin problems...

First things first...Is the second account in the 'admin' group?
    The default setting (in /etc/sudoers) is that only members in %admin can perform administrative tasks (use sudo).

Of course adding admin powers to an account will enable that account to completely trash the machine, so you probably shouldn't enable it for accounts that aren't 'computer/linux literate'

Comment

Working...
    X