X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoper damaged my boot manager? Need help to boot Kubuntu again

Hello guys,

I've been running Kubuntu on my machine for some time now but I wanted to try out Yoper, so I installed it on a different partition. Yoper is fine and much faster in certain cases but I would like to be able to run Kubuntu again. However, I cann't boot it, as the only os that appears in the boot manager's list before Yoper starts is Yoper itself. I believe Yoper has overwritten the LILO or something (I haven't use this stuff). Kubuntu's files are left untouched and can be mounted on /media/hda1.

What should I do, if I want to boot it again, keeping Yoper the default os?

Thank you!

Re: Yoper damaged my boot manager? Need help to boot Kubuntu again

I believe Yoper has overwritten the LILO or something
    If it is GRUB, then:

HOW TO: GRUB Methods - Toolkit
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
    Toolkit for Installation, Rescue, Repair - Fixing Common GRUB problems
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I'm assuming Yoper uses LILO?
      If so, THEN...

Use the reference Rog131 gave you, and from a Live Kubuntu CD, re-install GRUB from Kubuntu to the MBR (root-setup-quit) of that hard drive. Then you can boot into Kubuntu (but probably not into Yoper yet).
      Then edit the boot menu (/boot/grub/menu.lst) in Kubuntu to include a boot entry for Yoper, and you will do so by booting Yoper by chainloading it (title – root – chainloader +1).
      In the How-To, scroll down to Reply #17:
      --- Use GRUB to Chainload LILO Reply #17

What's on that hard drive?
      Partition 1 has
      Partition 2 has
      Etcetera...

(from a live CD, sudo fdisk -lu will show you your partitions)

This is fixable. It's a good reason to keep Super Grub Disk Live CD handy -- You can use it to boot into Kubuntu (either ongoing, temporarily or to fix stuff).

Super Grub Disk, new site: http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I failed to mention that IF it uses LILO, then you also must have its LILO installed to the boot sector of the partition containing Yoper (for the chainloader to work).
        Research it ...

EDIT:

http://www.yoper.com/wiki/index.php?...ILO_on_the_MBR

LILO on the MBR
        A lot of information on how to configure the Linux boot process with different Operating Systems can be found here: http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/os.html#OSBOOT .
        Now the YOPER specific part:
        LILO, the "LInux LOader" is a program which identifies your operating-systems, and allows you to easily choose between them. If Microsoft Windows ® is installed, Lilo will automatically recognize this and include it on the list of bootable systems for you to choose from. You should note that it's always a good idea to have a boot disk for each operating system installed on your computer! An installed Lilo bootloader may edited anytime later. Another popular bootloader is GRUB. Yoper lets you choose GRUB, but note that in Yoper it has experimental status, and is not supported as well as Lilo. Please also note that this GRUB version does not support Reiser4. With Reiser4 you must use Lilo.
        Boot record on the root partition
        If you decide to install the boot record to "/", please remember to modify your existing boot loader or choose the boot disk for starting yoper. If you ignore that, Yoper will not boot !
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

rasate,

Not sure where you're at with this. If you aren't proficient in LILO, the easiest/quickest way to fix this is to re-install Yoper. Is that possible, or have you gone too far with it?

If you can, here's an idea of how simple this is to fix.

Re-install Yoper.
          This time, tell the installer to put LILO ONLY in the boot (or root) partition – NOT into any MBR!
          So that's done.

Now, fire up you Kubuntu Live CD.
          Open Konsole (K > System > Konsole).
          Type
          sudo grub
          to get a GRUB prompt, like this: grub>.
          Then, type these commands at the prompt, pressing Enter after each:

grub> root (hdx,y)
          grub> setup (hdx)
          grub> quit
          $exit

and re-boot into your Kubuntu.

Now, in Kubuntu, open Konqueror; click boot; click grub;
          Right-click on menu.lst > Actions > Edit as root, give your PW.
          Then up comes menu.lst (in a text editor like Kwrite or Kate).

Scroll all the way don to the very bottom., and type this:

title Yoper whatever you wish to say here about it
          root (hdx,z)
          chainloader +1

Then File > Save, File > Quit

and re-boot to test it—boot into Yoper.

What you need to know is simple: the x, the y, and the z.
          If you have only this one hard drive, then x = 0.
          If you put Kubuntu on the first partition and Yoper on the second partition then, y = 0 and z = 1.

In other words,
          x = your hard drive number (start counting from zero)
          y = the Kubuntu partition (start counting from zero)
          z = the Yoper partition (counting from zero).

(at Konsole, sudo fdisk -lu would probably tell us this info).

If you do not wish to re-install Yoper, then you/we must figure out how to install LILO to the boot sector (the root partition) of the Yoper operating system (that's easy—a one liner); and then—maybe?--edit the LILO config file to boot Yoper (I'm not sure about it). And then do the GRUB thing with Kubuntu (as above).
          I'm not familiar with LILO, but could probably figure it out as there are some good references on it and it is not rocket surgery.

Comment

Qqmike,

thank you a lot for your reply! It did indeed worked this way, no problems:

I re-installed Yoper and this time had it use LILO instead of GRUB. Then via Kubuntu Live CD, I recovered Kubuntu boot manager (just as you said) and then from Kubuntu I recovered (the already lost) Yoper boot manager.

Thank you again!

Comment

Good job!

I didn't know you had used GRUB when installing LILO; we could have gone with GRUB all the way. However, I did note at the site that they consider GRUB to still be experimental for Yoper (?), and we might have had to deal with certain options, which can be tricky in some cases.

It doesn't matter. Cool thing about Linux is that there are many ways to do the same job.
              So, now you used the chainloader method to boot Yoper, is that how I understand it?

Comment

Working...
              X