This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update breaks after fresh install 7.10

Over the recent couple of months I have installed Kubuntu 7.10 gutsy on four different machines :-) and following each install I pretty well straight away also did an update of packages, from the triangle icon.

After the updates had all been downloaded, they automatically got installed and the final progress bar was indicated. However, when this final progress was some way along, an error window appeared saying that something had broken (or similar) - due to either a conflict or something else (forget exactly). The progress bar indication stopped moving at this stage. However, if the 'Details' were already on show, then when this error window came up, it was apparent that the updates were continuing to be installed!. In either case, either when no details and no indication of progress, or with details indicated and apparent software activity, the update seemed to continue installing when left for an appropriate time. When Details are not shown, I had to look at the hardware front panel hard drive activity light to see when things had stopped.

I did click the OK on the error window on one occasion, I think it stopped the final part of the update , not sure. I think I then rebooted and checked it all. On the other occasions I did not click the OK on the error window, just left it there.

1) this happens at a fresh install at first update, and the first time it happened it really worried me, Something had obviously 'gone wrong'
    2) It is bad news for someone who is really very new to kubuntu (ubuntu?), suggesting poor reliability.

Is it something I am doing?
    Any suggestions to avoid this please?

Re: Update breaks after fresh install 7.10

It's not you at all, I'm having the same thing happening here. And I do agree with you that it doesn't really give a good first impression.

Comment

For Gutsy Installations:

Open Adept Manager (K Menu | System | Adept Manger) and click on Adept | Manage Repositories. On the first tab, check all items (you don't need the last item checked unless you intend to download source files for compiling). On the Third-Party Software tab uncheck/delete the cdrom repository entry. Close the window. If Adept doesn't automatically fetch updates, click on Fetch Updates. You will now have access to the thousands of available packages. If you still have problems, open a console and type:
      Code:
      sudo dpkg --configure -a
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        Close anything resembling Adept or Synaptic, open the Konsole and enter
        Code:
        sudo dpkg --configure -a
        If it does not give errors, then continue with
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install
        Code:
        sudo apt-get autoclean
        and you should be back in business.
        [img width=400 height=138]http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7460/rigsigeo0.jpg[/img]

Comment

Greetings. re. Snowhog's suggestion: Small problem. After clicking "System>System Manager-Manage Packages" I get an "Adept Manager" window which is immediately blocked by a smaller window headed "Database Locked-Adept Manager" with the familiar options " Yes, No, and Cancel" "Yes" leads to a cryptic window that leads nowhere, "Cancel" cancels, and "No" gives me the Adept Manager window with everything under the "Adept" tab greyed out, and inaccessible. Is this the way its supposed to work? Cheers, Mzee.

Comment

What version of Kubuntu are you running? The instructions I posted are for Gutsy.

Comment

Greetings. Thanks. I am using 7.10. Seems confusing. mzee.

Comment

Doesn't sound like you are navigating to the application correctly. See the image below.
                Attached Files

Comment

I can confirm that there's indeed a bug with one of the update packages as stated by the original poster. I'm pretty much a seasoned Kubuntu user and know my way around. I decided to do a clean install as I have always been updating using the upgrade manager instead but on a new drive, opted for a fresh install.

I installed fine, rebooted, chose to use the restricted drivers for my nvidia card, rebooted. Run the updates, then when it's done says it failed to commit changes. Said ok, then to my shock I'm getting a prompt telling me that a new version was available . Weird, that's the GUTSY AMD64 image I downloaded. Okay, I could be wrong so I loaded the CD. In truth, I'm not drunk but correct, It is 7.10 AMD64 version that I have received. Strange thing is when you go through the wizard it fails. Here are the screenshots.
                  Attached Files
                  Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

P.S sorry, meant to edit the first post and Konqueror played some games on me.
                    Edit:

I ran the
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get --configure -a
                    command and got the following message:
                    Configuration file `/etc/qt3/qt_plugins_3.3rc'
                    ==> File on system created by you or by a script.
                    ==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
                    What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
                    Y or I : install the package maintainer's version
                    N or O : keep your currently-installed version
                    D : show the differences between the versions
                    Z : background this process to examine the situation
                    The default action is to keep your current version.
                    *** qt_plugins_3.3rc (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?
                    Apparently, it's the qt3 package causing the error. What I don't get is this is a FRESH install on a new hard drive.
                    Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

Greetings. Thanks for the clear presentation. Snowhog: Somehow, there is a difference in what we are looking at. I followed your navigation path exactly, but note that in the first and second shots, I don't get the 3.5.8 following either System or Adept Manager. The rest of my earlier description I can verify is as I posted it. Is it possible that although we are both talking 7.10, , somehow we have different installations? Mine is a 32 bit system, and everything is bog-standard. Athlon processor running at about 1.4 G (I think), on-board video, AMI bios, I am really looking forward to finding out what is going on. Cheers, mzee.

Comment

The 3.5.8 notation you see in the image, were 'added' by me (menu editor) prior to my installing kde4-core so I could readily distinguish between the KDE 4.0 added applications and the KDE 3.5.8 apps I already had.

I'm running Gutsy 32-bit also. Are you sure that you have KDE 3.5.8 and not 3.5.7 (or earlier)? Click on any applications Help | About KDE to see.

Comment

I guess it is possible that you have an unfinished Adept installation. You can open a console and type:
                          Code:
                          sudo dpkg --configure -a
                          should fix it, else continue with
                          Code:
                          sudo apt-get clean
                          Code:
                          sudo apt-get update
                          Code:
                          sudo apt-get install
                          If anything was interupted/unfinished, these commads should resolve the matter.

Comment

Hi,

@candtalan

I don't know if I understand you correctly....
                            Are you experiencing something similar to this? http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091400.0

If yes, I may have solved your problem already. When I had that error, I quit using Adept Manager. I used konsole instead and entered "sudo apt-get upgrade" and everything went fine. No hang ups, no errors. Using managers such as Adept and Synaptic is not encouraged by sidux (Debian Sid) wizards as it's prone to errors. If you are just going to update, just type "sudo apt-get update". I hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                            X