X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ubuntu works fine - kubuntu freezes

Kubuntu Breezy Freezing

Hello folks,

I am a new linux user, but not at all new to PCs. I’ve built a linux box, and have tried several distro’s. Suse10 ran well, but I didn’t much like it. I put Ubuntu on a laptop I use for teaching (along with XP) and liked it. Preferring KDE over Gnome I installed Kubuntu on the new PC/linux box. It kept freezing. I installed Ubuntu, worked fine. I installed the KDE package so that I could switch window displays, again KDE froze. I’m thinking it is a problem with the graphics drivers, but not sure how to test this. Any advice or pointers. System specs below.

With thanks,

Peter

mobo: shuttle an35
    cpu: amd semp 2600
    mem: corsair 512k pc3200
    psu: thermaltake 400W
    cd/dvd: asus1608p3
    vid: asus n6600

Re: ubuntu works fine - kubuntu freezes

What version of KDE? I have the best experience running Kubuntu on my laptop with an ATI no less. Maybe try KDE 3.51. Here's more info plus the sources maybe it will help. Ubuntu2Kubuntu

Comment

I had assumed it was the latest, I had done a
      $sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
      however --- I now have ubuntu freezing the screen.
      I had gone into ADEPT to ensure I had downloaded
      the latest package, and all is again locked up.

Apparently it's not a KDE problem. Thoughts?

BTW, the ubuntu2kubuntu link didn't work for me
      (update 2/18 -- got the link to work, I had a <space>
      at the end of the text file name ... interesting that the
      author recommends ATI, as I have ATI boards in two
      other XP computers, but much of what I read on Linux
      suggested Nvidia the better Linux choice. I will be
      swapping cards to see if that fixes the problem).

Comment

UPDATE: I removed the n6600 video card and took the GeForce 5200 out of my son's computer, put it in the Linux box. It ran Ubuntu w/o a problem, but corrupted the panel in KDE/Kubuntu. I reset the refresh rate from 85 down to 65 and all seems to be working fine.

I did not try downloading the n6600 drivers from Nvidia. That would probably be the next thing to do - 'cept there is a new problem. My 12y old son has absconded with the n6600, installed it, and is quite pleased with the gaming advantage it has over the 5200. It may be a while before I can continue the tests...

Besides the link passed by mohawke (thanks again), you might consider a visit to these links re:nvidia and their 6600 drivers:
        • http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=14815
        • http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=75074&page=90

Peter

Comment

I figured it was the video card. I did some research on it earlier and found some forums with similar info as the ones you provided. It had something to do with SMP and AGP. Here was one possible fix I found, Disable AGP-GART: In XF86Config: Option "NvAGP" "0" before starting KDE.

Here's one I found regarding similar problem using ATI card
          http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hreadid=338547

I keep seeing AGP, hmm... I expect problems from ATI, but not Gforce... Anyway, seems swapping video cards was a win win for everyone - lol

Comment

Working...
          X