This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept keeps failing when trying to install updates after rebuild of 7.10

I have a 1 GHz Asus machine (AMD Athlon i386) with 512 MB RAM and a Ti 4200 Nvida Video card. Sound is an Ensoniq SB16 and it is on a DSL conection behind a properly configured Smoothwall 3.0 dedicated firewall.

It is a Multiboot with Win XP on the same ATA/IDE HDD.

It installs successfully from the CD, and I have tried backups and redownloading the ISO as well, but when It goes to update and it offers the restrictive drivers, Adept runs into the same repeating problem.

When it attempts to install the downloaded updates, it stops and says that there was some sort of error and it had to stop. It says that the installation is complete, even though it only got a little over 1/3 of the way and then offers to upgrade me to a new version, and it fails on the second step. It also says that the installation is complete.

even if I don't upgrade to a new version, anything I try to install, weather it trys to install the updates that wern't installed before or not, it fails before the halfway mark. If I try to install things from the installer menu the same thing happens only everything, including the software not installed yet is marked as installed.

It is at this point I have to rebuild the machine again.

Also it says that support for lib[something]audio0 is not supported anymore and I should remove it. I have never got that far.

Any help would be appriciated as I have not had this problem in installing 7.10 before, but haven't been using it for a while while I was focusing on issues on my main computer for a while.

Re: Adept keeps failing when trying to install updates after rebuild of 7.10

sudo dpkg --configure -a
    It should reconfigure dpkg for you and if you've downloaded your packages and they weren't installing past a certain point earlier, they should continue installing from that point.

Comment

It is a known bug, to be able to get the updates (which fix this) you will need to update from a terminal:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get upgrade

Comment

Thaks alot, It worked.

You wouldn't happen to know if this same problem is on the 64 bit distro? I have been thinking of multibooting it on my AMD Athlon 64FX dual core machine. if it does is it the same fix?

edit

VLC installed through synaptic and adept won't launch after it is installed, and when I used synaptic I included the plugins. Any Ideas? I am not finding what I am looking for through search.

Comment

Working...
        X