This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lilo load grub?

Hey guys,i switched to Linux about a month ago and installed PCLinuxOS with Lilo on the mbr.Now i just recently discovered Kubuntu and also installed it.When I came to the point to install the bootloader I first went with the option to install Lilo to the Kubuntu root partition(/dev/sda8)but for some reason Lilo wouldn't install so I installed Grub to /dev/sda8 so I would be able to chainload from Lilo on the mbr.When the installation was done I booted into PCLinuxOS and mounted /dev/sda8,made the right chainloader entry for /dev/sda8 and ran lilo -v from a terminal.I then rebooted and Kubuntu was listed in Lilo but the only thing is that Lilo won't load Grub on the Kubuntu root partition.Is it just the case that Lilo can't load grub or have I missed something?And is there a way to install Lilo to /dev/sda8?

edit:i did a reinstall and now i put kubuntu on a primary partition and it boots just fine(just funky sata stuff going on ).but i do have another problem....when i installed kubuntu i wasn't asked for a root password.is there a way to set this after installing because i need to get my connection working and for that i have to go to admin mode.

Re: lilo load grub?

First, I would stay with GRUB - much easier than messing with LILO.  Personally, I use a third party boot loader to do my chaining. 

Next - The root password you're asking about:  Just use the password you created for login.  You don't need root access in the same way as in PCLinuxOS or MEPIS, etc.

Whenever you need to use administrator mode use "sudo" and the command or graphically "kdesu" and the command.

Example:  "kdesu kate /etc/fstab"  in order to edit and change your fstab file.

Comment

Re: lilo load grub?

i've only been playing with linux for about a month now so i'm not yet that experienced in the whole bootloader thing and don't yet know the pros and cons of lilo and grub.

Comment

Working...
      X