This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heelllllppppp

m new 2 Linux and u might all laugh when u read this :P .. i just want 2 know if Kubuntu offers the installation of iTunes and MSN messenger to limewire.. and if it can open .pdf files...
    please reply as soon as possible...
    Thank U

Re: Heelllllppppp

itunes: this is not available for linux, however there are a large number of linux apps from playing music the default in kubuntu being amarok

msn messenger: the actual app is unavailable, however kopete (the default instant messaging app) works from msn so you can use it to chat to anyone on msn (and yahoo, aol, gtalk....)

limewire: no idea personally

pdf: yes, kpdf is installed by default and allows you to view pdf's

Comment

u know i have my ipod which i have 2 use Itunes 2 synchronize music ... i'll find a way 2 handle this on my other laptop or smth... i have my A200 Toshiba satellite laptop and i couldn't find drivers on site to download.. would Linux find drivers automatically ?

Comment

amarok will work with your ipod (the only thing it doesn't do is the itunes store)

drivers for what piece of hardware specifically? almost everything driverwise will simply be done for you during the install

Comment

i really appreciate ur help... who needs itunes store when everything is downloaded for free :P
          wifi bluetooth webcam VGA(Nvidia) sound modem lan ...

Comment

Does AMAROK need any special "plugins" or packages to work with the iPod?

Comment

Snoop, most of what Windows calls "drivers", Linux calls "kernel modules" and just about all you'll need will come automatically with a Kubuntu install. That's right, no scouring the web for the latest drivers for some piece of hardware... Linux will recognise (for the most part) what module is needed, load it, and your device will be working

There are exceptions to the rule... For example, your graphics card will need a separate driver installation - but it is easy to find the drivers for (plenty of examples on these forums, try searching for 'envy'!)

The best way to see if anything critical doesn't work is to download and burn the install CD, which also acts as a "Live CD" - that is, you can run Kubuntu from the CD without installing it! It'll be a lot slower than properly installing it but it will let you check your hardware works without committing yourself.

Hope that helps

Comment

For limewire, try frostwire. It isn't in the repos, but there is a .deb package file for download on the project website. You will need a recent version of java installed and working and there always seems to be a bug with not being able to type in the edit boxes. Search the frostwire website for the bug work around.
                FKA: tanderson

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                  Does AMAROK need any special "plugins" or packages to work with the iPod?
                  I believe the answer is no, I don't actually have an ipod myself but support for it (among other players) is listed as a feature of amarok

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X