This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4 problem

So I updated to KDE4 (from 3.5.8 ) earlier today, and was going through all the visual settings and such, and changed one that was labelled "zoom" because my windows and overall desktop seemed rather large.

That was a mistake. Now whenever I log into my KDE4 session, it comes up to a black screen (everything actually loads though). So I try hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL and see what happens, the restart/logout/shutdown dialog comes up, only it's just a white box, and when I click randomly inside it, I can logout by hitting the area the logout box is.

So I'm thinking it's a problem with the compositing, and I have no way of fixing it right now. I've tried removing all the KDE4 packages and reinstalling them, and that didn't work. And right now I'm looking for a method to reset all the KDE4 settings to the installation defaults to see if that will do something.

Any help?

EDIT: So I created a new user account to see if that would do anything. When I try and log into my KDE4 session I get a "could not load kstatupconfig4" error dialog. Again, in need of some help.

Re: KDE 4 problem

In case you have it installed next to KDE3.x, both should be an option when you select the session type.

In that case load KDE 3.x and then remove the KDE 4 folder (or better yet, rename it so nothing gets lost!)

I think it has all the settings.

I read that somewhere on the forums here. Try to find it yourself before doing it though, I'm a newbie

Good Luck

Mike

Comment

There are some issues with plasma at this time. When I first login to KDE4 I have a white desktop. I can play with the wallpaper and get everything working. You are not alone with problems concerning plasma. If you have installed KDE4 alongside KDE3.5.8 you should be able to select KDE (vice KDE4) from the login. I will look around here, to see if it's possible to change the KDE4 plasma settings from KDE 3.5.

Mike
      http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Well renaming the .kde4 folder worked, since I'm using KDE4 to post this reply.

Thanks for your help.

P.S.- What do I do with the renamed folder? Delete it?

Comment

Working...
        X