This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to start Kubuntu 7.10 live

After reading a great article about linux I thought I'll try out one. Some of my friends told me kubuntu is a way to go. So I downloaded the .iso, burned it to a DVD, and thought before installing or anything I'll just try out the Live version just in case. My PC loaded for long minutes, went through the checklist, showed me something desktop like (without icons, only an X shaped cursor was in the middle) and then ... my PC went dead. I know this is a bit vague so I'll explain:

case a) After the cupsd was marked ok, the monitor turned to power saving mode, even in safe mode and even in 640x480x16 I tried multiple languages

case b) Iconless desktop with a cursor showed up. For 3 secs, then monitor turned blank (not power saving mode but active mode) and nothing worked, not even NumLock.

My system specs are: 17" CRT monitor (well kinda oldish but still works), 3000+ AMD Athlon64 CPU, 1GB RAM, GeForce7600 GS videocard and loads of free HD space. I didn't think this configuration would be weak for a kubuntu.

Is there anything to do? I don't want to install the OS without seeing it in action.

Re: Unable to start Kubuntu 7.10 live

Certainly not slow! Damn sight faster than mine and everything should work a treat.

Two things I can think of on the fly could have gone wrong:

a) You downloaded the 32 bit version by mistake
    b) Download went wrong
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

mate 32 bit versions will work on 64 bit cpus

try reburning the iso at the slowest possible speed
      as well as burning DISC AT ONCE instead of track at once which is default for most cd/dvd burners

that should fix it!!

Comment

HI,

I would echo CattinMarc. I would recommend downloading the 32 bit version. Then when you burn the ISO run the burner at the slowest speed. This should ensure that there was not an issue with the burn. I never had much luck with the 64 bit linux as most of the plugins and some apps wouldn't work.

J
        8)

Comment

So the 64 bit version is pooh? Didn't know - thanks for the info!
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
          X