Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

after install packages, I get full device, can't boot X neither uninstall packag

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

after install packages, I get full device, can't boot X neither uninstall packag

Help!!!

I have a new notebook with kubuntu, and after install some packages, I can't log anymore with X, because, as it says, there is no more space.

I try to uninstall something using command line but I get the same, that there is no more space at device, and the line: /var/lib/kpkg/status

I try aptitude clean, it seams that is is going ok, but then at the end it says the same

I try dpkg --configure -a , as it suggests me, but I get the same error message thata theres no more space and the same line, the /var/lib/dpkg/status.

It also says that at / I have a raiser with 5.1G but that it is all used.

Is there anything I can just remove or move to get more space so I can run some uninstall, or is it some other way to uninstall stuff?

Please, HELP ME!

my notebook is completely useless eith I can't even log.. :-(

Re: after install packages, I get full device, can't boot X neither uninstall pa

You say you ran the command "sudo aptitude clean", but have you also run the command "sudo aptitude autoclean"? Sometimes the "autoclean" command can remove packages the "clean" command can't, and vice-versa. Also, if you have a separate /boot partition, it needs to at least 200mb or you'll receive errors.

If your /root partition is only 5.1Gb, you may need to increase its size; I believe a fresh Gutsy (7.10) install requires about 6 gigs of freespace to install everything it needs.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Re: after install packages, I get full device, can't boot X neither uninstall packag

I'm going to guess, that you didn't create a separate /home partition; that you have a single / partition, and maybe, a swap partition. If I'm correct, then your entire partition for Kubuntu is the 5.1G you are being told is all used up.

I'll also guess, that you are only able to boot into Recovery mode (single user), resulting in just having the prompt. At that point, you are 'root'. Type:
      Code:
      df -hT
      and note the:
      Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
      for the /dev/sdxx partitions. You are going to see that the partition for / is 100% used. The only way to remedy your situation is to delete packages that you downloaded. This can easily be done with:
      Code:
      apt-get clean
      clean clears out the local repository of retrieved package files.
      It removes everything but the lock file from
      /var/cache/apt/archives/ and /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/.
      Afterwards, rerun the df -hT command and see how much space is now available on the / partition.

As integr8e stated, 5.1G for your entire installation simply isn't adequate, as you have discovered.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: after install packages, I get full device, can't boot X neither uninstall pa

Adding to the above I would get a copy of gparted live:
        http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

and see if you can give your / (Kubuntu) a breath of fresh air, ie more space (about 7gig if you don't have your /home on the same partition. As much as possible if you do).

That site also offers valuable docs on partitioning. Well worth reading

while you are at it you could think about setting up a separate /home partition. Good advice for a lot of reasons. Data safety being just one of them

After resizing / partitioning you will probably have to reset your uuid's for fstab and grub. You can use a live cd for that.

Comment

Working...
        X